Castering sulky lifts drive tires.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Apr 13, 2004.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I got my new Exmark 36 tthp today, and was hoping it would pull my castering sulky which is a early version of the bull rider. It does pretty good on open areas but the sukly seems to lift the drive wheels so turning and backing in tight quarters I get wheel spin. Does the new bull rider react this way in castering mode behind a 36 Hydro? Has anyone else had this problem with thier trimmertrap sulky and how did you remedy this.

By the way I absolutely love the ECS hydro controls, running them is so easy compared to muscling around my belt drive.

Tom

2. dishboy

from zone 6

just moving this to page one again.

3. dishboy

from zone 6

ditto page one again.

4. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is attached to a 48 bobcat, but I would guess that if you adjust the height that it is attached to your mower, the balance will be changed.
    Ie: raise the mounting height and your weight on the platform will have less effect on lifting the drive tires.
    If you go too high, the sulky won't turn as well.
    If you can hook it on with clamps and monkey around in your own yard, you will see what I mean.
    (then put the bolts thruogh in the new spots before you start working with it)
    Good luck!

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Is it level front to back? If it's not at least close to level you probably will experience something like that.

6. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

That's another disadvantage with castering sulkies. The relationship of the wheel to the platform changes when you back up or turn. In other words, there is more leverage to lift the back of the mower when the casters swing around.

JV

7. dishboy

from zone 6

JV
    So will a velke2 solve my problem, will I be able to do the edges of small lawns and be able to stay on the sulky? What happens when I go into a corner and back up two or three feet to change direction? Do I have to get off? Does the velke2 wheels follow the same track as the 36 in machine?
    Tom

8. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

Tom

As far as turning in tight areas, the one wheel velke has the least interference issues of any sulky. Next best is the two wheel velke. Although it is wider than the one wheel velke, it pivots (unlike caster sulkies). So any that stay directly behind the mower when turning is the worst. Imagine your equipment trailer having casters.

Backing up you can sometimes stay on it if you steer it like you would your equipment trailer. However it's faster and easier to hop off and let it swing 180 degrees around out of your way as you back up. I can do it with no hesitation so it does'nt take more time than other sulkies if you learn how.

The caster sulky is always in your way when you have to step off because you don't have traction when backing up. So you could say it's slower and certainly harder to walk back while tripping over it. They make it harder to help PULL the mower back when your mower is stuck too.

The x2 wheel tracks just inside most 36" wheel tracks making it look like wider tracks. The trade off for any 2 wheel sulky is that the farther apart the sulky wheels, the more they will hit things when turning.

Jim V

9. dishboy

from zone 6

Ax Man, you called it right , raised the mount and changed the leverage point. Thanks for the info.
    Tom

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Castering sulky is good on the open or big lawns, but in tight lawn they don't perform as good as trailering type. How about hill? Castering will skid and slide, but the trailering sticks like glue. I prefer by far the trailering type to castering ones, it works exactly same concept of your truck & trailer. Who really mows backward all the way? You only use reverse on backing out 1-2 feet, the trailering type works great for me for over 2 seasons now, I am so used to it.