Castor problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KTNC, Sep 7, 2006.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

The left castor on my Lazer has recently been loosening all the time. I check the tension on both nuts after every mow and this one is always too loose (wheel spins freely) So I tighten as per the manual so it spins only 1 to 1.5 turns, but when I start mowing again I hear a loud squeaking (heard over the noise of the mower) and it is loose by the time I'm done (hour).

The other one loosens gradually (maybe over a month)

Would new bolts and nuts fix this problem? Please advise...

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello KTNC,

Could you provide the model/serial number of your unit? This will insure we are giving you the correct information. Also are you referring to the caster fork or the caster tire coming lose? Not real clear as to which one you are questioning. Let us know and we would be happy to assist you.

Thanks

Christie Moore
    Exmark Customer Service Associate

3. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Model - LZ25KC604
    Serial - 285276

I'm talking aboout the caster tire not the forks.

4. eXmark

KTNC,

I think you are on the right track. It sounds like the nyloc nut has lost its hold and replacing that nut will help. The bolt is your option depending on what kind of condition it is in.

Let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thank You

Christie Moore

5. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply... I also noticed that the fork that holds the caster (the one that loosens all the time) is much more snug around the tire, than the other one. Is this normal?

6. eXmark

KTNC,

Sorry for the delayed response. The two tires should have the same amount of preload. Need to get the tires off the ground and give them a spin. The tire should not spin freely (no more than one or two revolutions) or have any side play. If the wheel spins freely, adjust torque on spacer nut until there is a slight amount of drag. Let us know if the there is anything else we can assist with.

Thank You

Christie Moore