Castor wheel sulkies & divots...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 29, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Do the castor wheel sulkies leave little divots when the wheels spin around?

I had asked about different tires on sulkies in a different post but thought I would try it again here. Does anyone have solid plastic or rubber wheels on their sulky {as opposed to pneumatic (sp)ones}? Do they damage the turf more or less? Do you ever get flat tires on sulkies?

Thanks to all,

Joel B.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Toro Tru-Trac sulky on my Toro 36" Hydro W/B and I like it. So far I have not seen any turf damage from the sulky at all.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

There "IS" a technique to anything, including turning a castored velky. You want to begin the "zeroturn", which I assume is where you have the problem, by turning in the direction you want to spin (180 degree turn). Actually to correctly zeroturn, using physics (you listening LGF):D, you want keep the outside wheel of the WB moving while you decrease speed of the inside wheel of the WB until it stops. Then, "hopefully", just as you stop the inside wheel you immediately begin reversal of that same wheel, while keeping the outside moving smoothly. When this is done, the castored velky wheels will never divot, or marr the ground, because they "smoothly" change direction and do not **** or stick on the ground.
    However, most operators don't turn correctly. Many of us just stop and attempt to pivot the machine, or just stop and try to backup, while the castored wheels are pointing straight ahead and stationary. If you ever drove in the days of "manual steering", cars that is, you learned to start turning before you stopped the car, and didn't start turning the wheel more, until you began backing up.
    Pete

4. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Good points, switchless. I was thinking of a situation where you would stop and back straight up making both sulky wheels pivot. I would think that might make little divots. Am I right?

Thanks,

Joel B.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, and you're exactly correct, they can divot easily doing that, and I've done it before:). They actually make casters for certain situations that spin AND slide. The are made for just the situation you talk about. When the machine the caster is on is reversed, pointing straight, the caster wheel can slide in a special track on it's holder and move under the pivot point, looking down on the wheel, and over to the other side of the pivot. Now the wheel is "technically" reversed and it never spins and you just back up. Neat, but I'll bet they'd be expensive......
    Pete

6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have noticed that my caster anti scalp is leaving a skid mark due to its small diameter. It's wore out!

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

wwouldn't know i've got a pivot.:D