cat 1 aerator

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by gcbailey, Aug 23, 2012.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I'm thinking about purchasing a category 1 aerator for the BX, been using a tow around one for years but a few properties this year it's going to be a pain to get into all the nooks.

Anyone using a cat 1 aerator on a sub compact? If so what about prices, from what I can tell I'm looking at least $1200. Also, does the hydraulics provide enough down force or are you still adding weight?

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the cat 1 aerators require serious weight on the unit. My woods pl 72 weighs 400 lbs and i put an additional 1000 lbs on the weight tray! not sure a bx can handle a cat 1 aerator?

3. weesa20

weesa20 LawnSite Member

Have a 5 foot Kioti brand core aerator that I run on my GC2300 without any trouble- it weighs around 400 lbs and I put an additional ~400 lbs on it- cores good in heavy NC clay- I take the FEL off to get as close to possible to my property lines and I don't have any problems.

http://kioti.com/products/implement/implement_3point.asp

4. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

I found mine on CL. After new spoons I've got right about $700 invested. I add about 300 lbs. The key is wait until the ground is soft from rain. The plugs in the photo were pulled after 2-3 days of rain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

nice... do you have any front weights/ballast on that JD?

6. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a FEL that I used to remove but now I leave it attached & just drop the bucket. I also have 5 ea 45lb suitcase weights that I use. I also no longer use the belly mower which helped a little.