Cat 232b Tilt Cylinder Noise

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ma5tr, Aug 22, 2005.

1. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

hi,
    i just purchased a new 232b cat. Eversince the 1st hour i realized that the tilit cylinder makes a weird howling noise when i tilit up and down. I wanted to know if anyone has encountered this problem.....and yes i do apply grease every 10 hours to all fittings.

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

There are many hydro cylinders I have heard with similar noises...But, since your machine is under warranty, call Cat and let them handle it. Service calls are free during the warranty period and that way you won't loose any time.

3. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

The seal and wiper on the cylinder is probably wiping the rod dry. If this is the case, you will get a groaning noise, particulary under load. You could try a Hydraulic Oil additive (Cat # 1U-9891). Your Cat dealer my give this to you for no charge.

4. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

The 226 I used to drive fairly howled at times but we never had any problems. That machine used 20-W50 engine oil in the hydraulics. My own 246B does at times make a very similar noise but at about 1/10th the volume. The 246B is running 10W Hydraulic oil from Cat. Another 226B I know of also makes a similar howling noise under load but I don't know what oil that machine is running.

Regards from Perth

Squizzy.

5. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

I called my cat dealer today and they came to take a look at the machine, after they tried to fix it on site, and failing they took it to their shop. iowacatman, i aked them if tyour prognosis could be the problem and they said no it was further in the machine than that. Theyve had my machine for a week now and still no fix. I'll keep you all updated.

My second question is did CAT discontinue the 232b series model? I went to their site today and all I see is a 236b. Whats up with that?

6. iowacatman

I checked the cat.com website and was able to see the 232 B.

7. iowacatman

The noise coming from the cylinder (groaning) from a dry cylinder rod will resonate down into the heart of the machine. Makes it sound like it's coming from the pump.

8. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

I let them know again about what you had said about the rods. But they insisted that is was further than that.....they have now had my machine for over a week and a half..not amusing...but they brought us a 246. We spoke to the senior tech today and our now looking into the hydro lines????? I'm getting a bit scared now because i'm hearing horror stories/ negative comments about the techs at the business where our machine is being serviced (yes it is a well known(CAT)company) I'll keep all posted

9. iowacatman

Well, I hope they can figure out what is wrong. I am glad to hear they gave you a loaner machine.