cat 236 vs case 420?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by IHI, Feb 7, 2007.

1. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

:walking: Hello,
    A dealer in town has a 99' cat 236 with about 900 hours. He wants 17k. I ran fit or a bit and it is a clean tight unit. I also looked at a new (06) case 420 for about 23k.
    My question is, is it worth going to a new and will the Case perform as well as the Cat? I will be using it for many different items:landscaping/hardscape/etc...
    Thanks!

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That 236 is worth about $13K at best.

3. Buzz-2

Buzz-2 LawnSite Member

You could try searching http://www.catused.com to see if another Cat is available.

4. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

How often are you using it? I purchased a used NH 185.b in the Denver area. I would loved to have gotten a new one but I couldn't justify it because I don't use it on a daily basis.
    George

5. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

I am planning on using it about 3-5 times a week. Kind of depends on how much work I can drum up with it. Sinjon, as you may know, since the recent snow storms in CO, used skids were going for top dollar. This now has impacted me trying to get a good used one for the 10 k range. Most of what I've seen in the last 2 weeks are not in great condition. I may have to look more in the Denver area. Any suggestions?

6. SinjonAssociates

It is all a matter of time before the madd rush dies. The more specific you are about brand the harder your search will be. If you can make a new machine pay for itself I would head in that direction. I do mostly fix-n-flips so a used machine was the way to go because I'm not running hard hrs. Start looking at the various websites that come across this board. This is one that I look at just to see whats out there. I do remember seeing a Cat on craigslist Denver but I can't remember the specs but these are still hard times for many people so there are deals out there. Also purchase insurance for your unit, its cheap and with these hard times the thieves are coming out of the woodwork.

7. SinjonAssociates

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have not run the 420 specificly. Its specs mirror that of the 1845C except the 420 is turbo charged. This machine can also be be had in pilots if you so desired. I would demo both of them and see what you think of them side by side. The CASE 430 might match up better hp wise. If you decide you want a CAT I would check Iron Planet and like Scag said you should be in the 11-13K range depending on condition. 17K for a 99 CAT 236 is insane.