1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cat 242B demo

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by danmc, Nov 18, 2005.

1. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

We were able to demo the Cat today. The controls took a little while to get used to but once that was ironed out I was off and running. The brushcutter performed flawlessly - after refining my technique that is. I was able to do in 1 hour what it would have taken two of us all day to do by hand.

The only dislike I have so far is how it turns. Is it possible to counter rotate one side while turning like you can do with normal push-pull type controls? I tried once but was unsuccessful. Also, according the salesman, Cat doesn't make over the tire rubber tracks, only steel ones. Which aftermarket manufacturer makes a good product? Any other operational hints or suggestions?

The only thing left for me to do is to negotiate a package price for the machine, brushcutter, auger with 12" bit and a set of pallet forks. Right now the price stands at $39,840 without tax.;)

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

To counter rotate, simply push the travel stick to the left or the right without any forward or reverse inputs and it will spin donuts all day long. It does a take a second to initiate the turn with a Cat machine as it's not a yank em stick machine, there's electronics going on instead of straight linkage to the pumps.
  3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Dan, do you mean is it possible to just have one side's wheels turn? (Like in a Bobcat machine, just driving the right lever forward?) If so, you just angle the joystick a little bit to the side (left or right) rather than go full left or full right. Same as a hystat D3 -- a little left or right turns the machine slowly; full left or right (as scag said) counterrotates.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, forgot about that as well, if you only push the stick halfway to the left or right it only powers the outside wheels but to do a full counter-rotation slam it all the way over and hold on!