Cat 247b2 vs T190 take 2

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by yardworkslawncare, Feb 22, 2008.

1. yardworkslawncare

yardworkslawncare LawnSite Member

Cat dealer just dropped off a new 247b2 to demo. Brougt over my buddies 06t190 to do a little side by side comparison. The cat operates/rides like dream compared to the bobcat. My concern is the lack of lift of the 247. I understand radial vs vertical lift but when we stacked a couple of boulders on top of each other and tried to lift them the comparison stopped. The bobcat did it (fully lifted) at idle and the 247 at full throttle would not even curl them back off of the ground. Bobcat ron or others, my question is will the 247 lift a full pallet of wet sod or a full pallet of landscape blocks off the back of the delivery truck???

We will continue to compare over the weekend, but have only snow to play in and can't do dirt comparisons.

Any feed back appreciated.
  2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

No it won't, you are comparing the T190's 1900 lbs of ROC to the 247's 1435 ROC, even if you added additional counterweights to the 247, it still won't do it. A fairer comparison is the 257, it has 1850 lbs of ROC.
    It also depends on where it needs to lifted from, right off the ground or off a flat bed truck. The Cat 247 is an odd machine, stack it next to a Bobcat T140 and it eats it alive in the HP and bucket break out and sheer power, but stack it next to the T180 and you got a close match with less ROC. There is more hydraulic HP at the auxiliaries though, gear pumps on the Bobcats are weaker than the mighty piston pumps on the Cats, I just found that out on my flail mower.
  3. yardworkslawncare

yardworkslawncare LawnSite Member

I love the size,ride, and control of this machine. Im just a little dissapointed that it would not fair a little better. I like the idea of it being just under 7000lb operating weight. Another option I am looking at is a 232b2 and adding the loegering tracks to It. I have read through alot on here and my head is still spinning. I plow/push snow so I really like the Idea of a tire machine. I know with my landscape work and working across existing lawns tracks are what works best with my summertime work.
  4. bobcat_ron

The 257B2 is a better machine than the older B's and the Alpha models, updates to the hydraulics and the biggest improvement is the planetaries in the drive motors, that was one of the biggest beef's people had the with the 257's, it really was a dog to turn with one track.
  5. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

You should try out an ASV PT 70. we are very seriously considering buying one to replace our T 190. It's got about 10 more horses on a 257b2 and a much beefier U/C IMO. the visibility on these machines is quite excellent and i really think you should give it a look.
  6. bobcat_ron

I doubt the ASV will fair better than the Cats.
  7. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Just make sure you let us know how it goes
  8. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I feel the visibility is much better in the Cats. You can actually look out your side windows and see the front,top,and rear parts of the tracks. Try doing that in a ASV. That is the biggest beef I have with them.
  9. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

Yes the side visibility is not quite as good thats true but out back its better and you sit higher up it seems than in other ctl's. I guess it all depends on the application you use it most often in. We are in really tight access ways between houses so if my bucket goes through an opening a know the rest of my machine will too, i rarely look out the side if i'm moving foreward, i'm more concerned with seeing out front or back of me. Another thing that i like about the PT 70 is the fact there is no guage clusters up on the left or right to obstruct your view, we load trucks mostly so the extra open glass is nice for us. Everyone has their own preferences though.
  10. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

It might be worth a try. It is true that the visibility to the side is not the best on the market but the visibility to the bucket and the rear is pretty good. The SR70 also has a 2750lb ROC, comes standard with high flow, is the same width as the 257, has 15 inches of ground clearance, hasa bigger displacement engine (same as the 277 and 297) that is turbo charged 70hp, and has a lift height to pin of 125 inches. Only a demo will tell you if it will or won't work in the applications you do. Good luck.