CAT 257b lost a roller!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ssprtman12, May 12, 2011.

1. ssprtman12

ssprtman12 LawnSite Member
    from MA

so today on the job one of the undercarriage roller wheels fell of the machine. it had been running for a good 7hrs none stop over some pretty rough/uneven terrain with no problems, then at the last 2 trips of the day one of the brazilian guys brings over the wheel and a bunch of parts, and the metal pieces were HOT!!

The biggest question is, is it bad to run without it so that i can finish the job, or will that cause further more traumatic damage. . . its the last small wheel before the back larger idler wheel, and the outside roller.

Let me know if its a bad thing to keep running it

thanks,

ssprtman

2. icex

icex LawnSite Senior Member
    from WV

I would NOT run it until the roller is replaced... you'll cause more damage and spend way more $$ in the end.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

You blew a bearing, you might want to take some time and roll each wheel with your hands to check for more bearing issues.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Z'mnypit

Z'mnypit LawnSite Member

Happens on my 257 every once in a while. I just go buy some new bearings from motion industries and put it back together. Usually cost around $20 to put it back together. Theres a thread on here with a guy putting grease fittings in the rollers, Im thinking about trying that soon.

5. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a centree wheel you can run without it on, i just tape up the axle.

anyone know where to get those seals non genuine????

6. Z'mnypit

Z'mnypit LawnSite Member