cat 257b vs asv 70

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TNdigger, Apr 11, 2008.

1. TNdigger

TNdigger LawnSite Member

I am currently running bobcat s185. I am looking to purchase a track loader and I can get a cat257b or asv 70 for about the same money. I do a lot of heavy hauling on hilly terrain and the wheeled machine is just not the best option. The spec sheets seem to match the cat277 closer to the ASV Sr 70. However my sales rep says the the 257 will far surpass the asv 70 in all aspects. Just thought I would look to some other owners for opions. Thanks for your time.

2. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I will give you my opinion based on renting both of these units in the past. These are the things I liked about the SR70 over the 257:
    1. More operating capacity-I think the SR70 is rated at 2750lbs ROC but it felt like it would lift far more than that. the new 257B2 is around 2500lbs.
    2. More lift height-I think it has 7 more inches to pin than the 257.
    3. More track on the ground- The SR70 was far more stable with a load because it had a whole foot more of track on the ground (71 inches vs 59 inches) and a higher ROC. Same width of 66" by the way.
    4. Ground clearance- The SR70 has almost double the ground clearance.
    5. Way more power- 11 more net hp and a 3.3L engine vs a 2.2L engine. The SR70 uses the same Mitsubishi engine that the CAT 277/287/297 use. It is turboed but detuned.
    6. Standard high flow that uses a load sensing pump instead of an optional gear pump.
    7. Better visibility.
    8. Excavator style door that allowed me to operatethe machine with the door up.
    9. The low flow on the SR70 came standard with variable flow from 0-20gpm.

I did not like the fact that the SR70 was 4" higher in cab height although it wasn't a factor in my application of carrying sod pallets.

I would say demo them both but if you can get them for the same price I think that the SR70 is more of a machine.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Even as a Cat skid steer fan I'd say the ASV would be a better choice.

4. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

If it matters to you. A SR70 also has more foward reach, have higher ground speeds and better cutting edge visibilty.

J.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the ASV is more machine, athough like the sales example of the 257's I posted a week or so ago. They can be had with about 1000 hours for 16K (05 model with cab I think).