Cat 257B vs. Bobcat T190

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Nelson M Martin, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Nelson M Martin

Nelson M Martin LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

To who it may concern. What are the opinions on performance between these two machines?
    Such as pushing capacity or power to the ground and lifting etc.:confused:

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

One of the contractors in my area has a 257 it does really good I was watching the operator operate it and its smooth no jumping around kinda mezmarizing :laugh:

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You can see a comparison at

Casece.com go to compact track loader, click on compare, go 445CT to see the T-190 specs. Go to 420CT to see the 257B2 specs.

Neither of these two machines are impressive. There have been threads on this before.

4. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't go any where near a 257, I know numerous contractors that all dumped that machine because its a gutless wonder.. There all in t190's now and are happy with them. There was something i found on you tube a few weeks back and i dont know where the hell it went maybe it was taken off but it had a bobcat t190, deere ct322, cat 257, and a takuchi i dont even remember the model number but it was compared to the rest of these machines.. It showed each of these machines pushing dirt on flat ground on seeing how far they can go before the machine stoped... I'm sure it was something to do with deere.

ct322 i believe pushed like 58 feet
    tackuchi pushed 48 feet
    bobcat pushed 45 feet
    cat pushed i think it was only 33-35 feet

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Both are less than desireable when it really comes down to it. The 257/257B is an absolute dog, however I ran a 257BII and it was a little better. I still feel the 257BII platform needed improvements when it came to the undercarriage packing the upperstructure around.

6. SellingIron

SellingIron LawnSite Senior Member
    from FTE

The question is a cat 257 vs. T190... ( not crap I mean case))

I have had customers demo both. The cat 257 is under powered. It's a nice machine but there is no comparison to a bobcat T190. The T190 has plenty of power for its size. The SJC ( Joysticks on the bobcat are ?) they are better but something else to go wrong.....If you can run a hand and foot controlled T190.. Hands down you have more control of your machines movement and power..

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody seems to just leave the ACS controls out, I think I'd much rather go that route because of the SJC troubles.. Whats the deal with ACS controls? does no one use them? Do they have the same problems as the SJC's?

8. Nelson M Martin

from Ontario

9. Nelson M Martin

from Ontario

10. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Selling iron you couldn't have said it any better. That's what i been telling these guys on this site.. I feel i have plenty of control and power in my t190 being able to operate it with hand and foot controls.. The t190 will bury the cat 257 in a heartbeat..