Cat 257b

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by qps, Oct 21, 2005.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Need some input from cat owners, with the 4 year 0% offer from cat I'm thinking of trading in my 242 for a 257B, what is some of the pricing paid for a new unit???? also comments on the clam bucket and cost of a new one. Thanks

2. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

CAT is offering some great deals but I only have 250 hours on mine. I do sometimes wish I had bought the 257B when we are operating in very soft sand. The stability of the 257B is a big move up from the 242.

Whatever you do go the clam-shell bucket. I'm not sure that I could go back to working without one. Just can't imagine how I got by before. I put the bite on the dealer and got the 4 in 1 thrown into the deal.

Good Luck.

3. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

Pricing on grapple bucket will vary from 1500 to 4000 depending on style and brand. 257 price will vary based on dealer and how you are configuring the machine.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Combo buckets start at about $2500 from Cat (60") and work their way up to around $4500. I would imagine that with the width of the 257 it'll be a very large bucket, not sure of the size off the top of my head, I want to say 78".

As far as Cat in general, the dealer support is what you're paying for. Everyone will argue that Deere or Case or whoever produces a better machine. That might be true, but we pay this royalty for the dealer support so that when we need something we get it right then. Bottom line, Cat doesn't produce a crappy machine, they're one of the best with bar-none service and that's why we only buy Cat.

5. qps

from Indy

Thanks for the replys so far, the combo bucket is a 66"..not sure of brand, list on unit is right at 43,000.00 and there quoting 3300.00 for the 4-1. which I think is high....

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I thought the 257 was much wider, I guess I was thinking of the 277. $3300 sounds a little high for a 66" combo, even a Cat combo shouldn't be more than about $2900. Although steel prices have gone through the roof since we bought our machine, it's a tough call. Cat is all I recommend for the brand of bucket, they are excellent. Ours is 3 years old and it looks brand new, except for a couple dings on my mistake loading rocks.

7. qps

from Indy

They do offer a wider unit I think, but the one I'm using for demo is a 66" (cat brand) man this thing will pull stumps out of the ground, ran it for alittle bit today in the mud and it just glides right across it, my 242 would be slip sliding away, I would like to have it but the bucket capacity is greatly reduced on it. I don't know I'm still thinking....thank you for your input, machine itself is quoted around 38K.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Get a 78" bucket, I'm sure the 257 will be able to handle the added weight.

9. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

The 257B is very similar to a 246B with a smaller engine and the CTL system. Remember, 4 in 1 buckets are heavy. I have the CAT 66" bucket which clears the tyres nicely and (with a smaller hungry board) can carry enough to plant the machine on its nose if you are not careful. I don't know how much wider the tracks are (if at all).

I also have a 74" trash rake which is excellent but occaisionally I can't use it because I work down the side of older houses with very narrow driveways. The 74" also just fits in the dump track with the ramps either side. Just something to consider. Your dealer should help with what is recommended.

I concur with the comments above about service/support. Recently I needed some parts on a Sunday and our CAT dealer runs 24/7. No other skid steer dealer in the state does.

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Cats running 0% for 48? How long are they running that offer for?

Matt