Cat 268 and mulching heads

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by LabLuvR, Nov 17, 2006.

1. LabLuvR

LabLuvR LawnSite Member

What would do you guys think about the Cat 268 with steel tracks over tires for running a mulching head? Would like to hear the pros and cons of that setup. Thanks!

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I think this would be the best setup. Run foam filled tires or Nu-air tires with over the tire steel tracks. Good ground clearance, no flats, and the steel tracks will take the brunt of the abrasions that can occur cutting.

3. LabLuvR

LabLuvR LawnSite Member

Agreed. I was thinking about going with the ASV until I talked with a Cat rep and they told me guys around here were using the above setup. Not to mention it is $20K cheaper than the all track version. Wooo, that make a guy sit up and listen!:cool2:

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The ASV RC100 is a much more ideal machine in the standpoint that it does have 25% more horsepower and a little more hydraulic flow. But, if your operation allows you to effectively run a 268 with steel tracks, you've won the battle of keeping your overhead much lower as well as your operating costs.

5. LabLuvR

LabLuvR LawnSite Member

Well said. Talked to the Fecon rep today and he implied that the Cat hyd. output was a little bit higher than the ASV if I understood correctly.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds about right, I'm not too familiar with ASV's high flow, but I think Cat's XPS might be a little higher. However, the Cat only has 78 horses whereas the RC100 is pushing right around 100.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

CAT XPS system runs around 4000 psi I don't think ASV's system runs that much pressure. That may be what he was refering to.