Cat 277b???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Dec 7, 2013.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Going Monday to check out an 05' Cat 277b. Open cab, 1400hrs. Machine looks to be in good shape. Spoke to the seller and asked about idlers, bogey wheels etc. said e changed a bunch of them about 150hrs ago.

He is retiring and looking to sell quickly to travel over the holidays.

Asking $10k. I'm bring a buddy to check it out with me, he is a heavy equipment mechanic.

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

That seems reaaaally cheap. If it passes all visuals it should be a go. You obviously know about the ctl vs mtl undercarriage so if its going to work for you, go for it
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i have a 287b and it's been a great asset. I think in your swampy state the MTL will have a big advantage

4. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like it could use a set of tracks

5. KrayzKajun

That's what I was thinking. Being at least 70% of the time we will be doing sandbag work will be during a storm in rainy muddy conditions. Plus our springs are so wet even ctls get a Lil stuck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ARP

ARP LawnSite Bronze Member

Great price Krazy- if it passes muster is could be a good starter machine. Not to sound spoiled though, we frequently work in wet conditions (doesn't matter what the weather is, land needs to be cleared lol) and because of that you wouldn't find me in a machine without a cab. Its not fun sitting down for hours getting soaked and not being able to move to warm up (you're in the operator's seat) is no fun. Couple that with the fact if you want to do any brush clearing you will want a cab after you find that first bees nest and have nowhere to run as they swarm you in your cab or you take a piece of slash to your chest or face from a mower ;-)

7. AfterhoursVT

AfterhoursVT LawnSite Member

Looks like it will need tracks for sure. I would price a set out and be prepared to have the new set at your shop. You don't want to be on a storm recovery job and blow a track and be down for a few days waiting on a new set to show up.

Plus $10,000 seems extremely low priced. You pay for what you get. Check it over. Take your time. Nothing is worse then investing in a lemon

8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Best one you've posted so far

Can always get aftermarket cab
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. KrayzKajun

I found a locking front lexan door and side windows for $1100.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

La. is probably one of the places an MTL might make sense. Depending on what it needs 10K might be right where it needs to be priced considering what it can cost to go through one. If it has enough life in it to make some money with it and then fix and repair as you can afford it, the machine would be a step in the right direction.