1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cat 287B extra aircleaner

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Danish Cat technician, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Danish Cat technician

Danish Cat technician LawnSite Member
    from Denmark

Hello people.

I'm working on two 287B with PC210 coldplaners and the problem is that the standard engine aircleaner is not sufficient.
    Now I need some really good ideas on how to place a secondary aircleaner (cyclon) outside the enginebay.
    It must not be placed behind the emergency exit window in the rear. Thats the primary demand.

Hope that someone has a great idea.
    Thanks in advance.

Michael Kristensen
    Denmark

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Cut a hole into the rear engine cover, but this would need a very heavy guard to protect it. I know what you're talking about, alot of the Cat equipment should still use the cyclones, they are extremely efficient.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I hear that, the standard air cleaners are not worth their salt, not even close. I wish Cat would address this issue.

4. Danish Cat technician

from Denmark

It's a big problem especially when using the coldplaners. The standard filter clogs up in no time.

The cyclone can't just be placed on the back of engine cover, because they have to be able to back right up to that. And it should be mounted higher, but where???

5. Danish Cat technician

from Denmark

Any ideas from anyone???????:confused:

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You might look at putting a water attachment on the planer similiar to the system used on brooms. Also not that is likely to be an option but Contec's planer is much cleaner than most others on the market. They don't rehash the material creating all the dust.

7. Danish Cat technician

from Denmark

UPDATE: Solution found.

I have just finished fitting a cyclonoe filter on the Cat 287B skidsteer.
    I think the result came out quite well, but now its up to you guys, the hard and "cruel" judges or just everyday users of this kind of equipment. Tell me what you think :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Looks darn good, a bit much like a submarine snorkel.

Could it be mounted right behind the window, or is it going to block the visibility?

9. Danish Cat technician

from Denmark

Thank you Ron.

It could be mounted right behind the window except for the fact that the rear window is an emergency exit, and must not be blocked.
    Their radio is placed in the rearwindow frame, so they use it anyway, but as a dealer we have to uphold the law.

It would also block visibility, but how often do you actually look out of it?

Other input/thoughts?

10. Danish Cat technician

from Denmark

Ohh I forgot. If you place it right behind the rear window, how are you going to raise the cab if needed???

With this you can actually raise the cab without removing any of the parts.