CAT 297C vs Gehl CTL 70

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by qps, Jul 14, 2007.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Trying both...really all three...the gehl is a takeuhoouchie...or least that's my understanding....:weightlifter:

DSC01163.JPG

DSC01162.JPG

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Both machines look good!

3. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

so which one is better?;)

4. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Ran them today...and will again tomm.....stay tuned....

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

You need some teeth on those buckets too do some digging.

The Gehl is a Takeuchi.

Whats the price difference?

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I will add the Cat is better compared too the CTL 80

7. t190

t190 LawnSite Member

shows how great cats u/c is, you already got a stick stuck in it

8. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I see the stick your talking about T190. I would say the gehl is a proven design thanks to Takeuchi.

9. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope Cat has the undercarriage worked out. There is allot of wheeled Cats out there and allot of MTL's. Cat's main weak link is that undercarriage and I hope no w its fixed.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If Cat doesn't deliver a decent undercarriage with the C series, their MTL sales will be sunk. It will be a repeat of Deere's 200 series, look what happened to Deere's reputation with that disaster. I've spent a lot of time in a Gehl 5640 and even though it doesn't have pilot controls the t-bar controls are tollerable, the grunt the machine puts down is ridiculously awesome, and the center of gravity is much, much lower. Dad has a 246B on rent for a month and pound for pound our 216 will outwork the 246. I'm not impressed with the 246 at all, not enough power, center of gravity is very high, machine feels very unstable on uneven ground. It'll lift what we need it to lift, but it has no "jump", you mash on the pedal in tough situations and nothing happens. Incredibly disappointed, our 277B with the same engine would eat the 246 and spit it right out. I'm beginning to like Gehl more and more every time I run my buddy's 5640. I'm curious as to what Gehl's pilot controls are like, that would be the ultimate. We would definately buy a Gehl, except for the nearest dealer is well over 5 hours away. The CT70 looks to be an awesome machine, Takeuchi's proven undercarriage and balls out power. I'd like to give one a run one of these days.