1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

CAT 299C Pics

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by qps, Aug 8, 2008.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Ask and thou shall receive...the 289 wasn't around but a Brand new 299 was..

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Look what Dozerman traded in on a new CAT....:weightlifter:

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You finally broke him down.:clapping:

When is the Demo of the Series 3 machine happening Tim. I have 50 pounds of buffulo wings, a keg of beer, and a limo full of dancing girls (all dressed in Power Tan thongs of course) on call awaiting the location of the demo in Indy.
  4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The final drives looked larger in the prereleased photos we saw this Spring. Was I imagining things? Does anyone know, is that a Berco track system or did CAT build it from scratch?
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

It's Cat's system, look at a D-6 highdrive and look closely at the leading roller and idlers, same system, just scaled down. Berco might be supplying the rollers and idlers.

Trust me, there is going to be a flood of trade in Deere, Case and Bobcat's hitting dealer's yards when this Cat CTL promotion really picks up steam, even my local Cat Rental people didn't know they were working on one yet.

One question, is there any grease fittings for the torsion axles?
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Sweet looking machine! Some day,lol
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That machine is going to munch just about anything. Time will tell, but I wouldn't hesitate to say I think Cat will finally get something right, or at least offer a badass alternative to the nay-sayers of the ASV undercarriage.
  8. jmf

jmf LawnSite Member
    from ny

It just seems to me that the ride goes south with the advent of the iron shoes. Quite a departure from the multi-terrain concept.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Iron shoes? Where do you see steel pads on that machine? Looks like rubber like every other CTL out there.
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I think with the mini machine market picking up and people are getting away from larger machines Cat is trying to build a better tracked skid steer.

A wheeled skid is almost useless as bits on a board. A mini excavator and a skid steer can do more work than a rubber tired backhoe when working in confined areas.

How are you supposed to take a wheeled skid into a place where a excavator has crawled into. Your either in soft ground or its muddy or the ground is just too uneven for a wheeled machine can go.

In B.C. large track loaders stopped being used in the early 80s I don't think Finnings has sold a trackloader in B.C. for decades.

You will probably see the mines buy a tracked skid steer like the 299 for cleaning out under conveyors. You get spillage off the conveyors and it builds up that has to be cleaned up. A 980 988 can't fit or a rubber tired backhoe.