cat 302.5c and 24" bucket

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ma5tr, Nov 12, 2005.

1. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

do you guys think a 302.5c excavator can easily handle a 24" bucket. I have one on site with a 12" bucket because our 24" hasn't come in yet, I think it should be alright because our machine is not zts. Overall the machine is nice though, all controls are in the joysticks, stereo, a/c heater etc.... It's a nice new toy we decided to go cat for the service.

I just want to make sure that we going with a 24" bucket is the right thing to do! I don't see getting a 12" and 18" being practical, so I hope it's alright!

2. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

There's buckets and theres buckets

Our 24" bucket weighs 220 lbs, but if you builder knows its for a 2.5 then he should build it accordingly. A 24" is the max you would want to run in the conventional sense. It depends who is going to operate it and what you will be handling. The geometry of the bucket plays a huge part when people start talking about "my machine can run this etc etc".

I'd have a look at the Cat specs but I think the 18" will become your "GP" bucket. Have fun.

3. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

thanks squizzy, just to let you know the bucket that we purchased is a cat brand name. we got it thrown in when making the deal, it was either a 18" or 24" to come with a 12", so I figured to go with a 12" and 24"....I hope it handles it fine....

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

For digging on those small machines I prefer the 18" personally. 24" buckets make them pretty tippy, but work good for backfilling.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You would only want a 24" clean up bucket I doubt the machine would have enough power for a dig bucket. When you got a big bucket like that you just have to be carefull. When you got a full bucket full of slimy heavy snot you always keep it low to the ground so if the machine starts to tip it won't flop on its side.

You want 3 buckets a trenching bucket your regular digging bucket and a clean up bucket you really won't use anything else. The trenching bucket is good for digging the hard pan or hard conditions then switch to the regular digging bucket when you got things loosened up.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

24" is going to be too much for that machine. Our 303CR handles the 24" well but 24" is the largest I'd EVER think about putting on the 303CR. The only way the 24" is going to work for that machine is if you weren't lifting a full bucket very high, you could tip the machine over if you try to do this with a full 24". Even our 303 gets a little topheavy and it weighs 1300 pounds more than a 302.5. If possible, I'd go with the 18".

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 24" wide bucket would be good for scraping the ground or spooning topsoil. When I was running 690 LC John Deere the 1 yard clean up bucket would make the machine tilt you just becarefull.

8. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My Kubota 121-3 (9300#)pulls a 24" Everyday.