Cat 305 Mini Ex Demo

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Mar 16, 2007.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I will be picking up the machine at the first of the week for demo.
    It is a used 2005 machine with around 700 hours.Has Cab,heat and Air.

I think it can be purchased for 40k with a couple buckets and a hyd thumb.
    Thats about 25k less than new.

I have never used a Cat mini ex.
    Looking forward too it.

Any advice on pros and cons about the machine and what too look for as in potential problems please speak up.:)
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would demo that one and then run a C model and see if the improvements are worth the money. Buying the last year of the old series is kind of a bummer unless you can get a good deal on it.
  3. AWJ Services

from Ga

Not really sure what year they started the C Model.

I am well versed in Takeuchi just not Cat.:)
  4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well i think the other way buying the last year of a series is always a good idea cause the probably have most of the bugges worked out. as apposed to buying the first year of a series were it maybe the next ford 03 6.0 of that product line...
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard of no issues with the CCR series excavators as of yet. The first year of release for the 305CCR was 2006 I believe, so a 2005 would be a 305CR.
  6. AWJ Services

from Ga

did some searches on differeneces between the 2 models but did not have much luck.

What are the main differneces between them?
  7. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

One thing i saw was the way you can get to things for checking oil and batterys and so fore.The door in the back opens out instead of up which is better.CCR

CR you can't get to the radiator cap very good to see how much water is in it .Just have to pour until it runs out.

The side panel where the hydaulics are is a two piece on the CR and harder to get to things add hydraulic oil have to have a funnel for about everything ,where the CCR is a one piece and can get to things better.

You can start with that much.

Maybe gps,got his 305 CCR by now and maybe he will report to us.Good Luck.
  8. AWJ Services

from Ga

Thanks Construct'O

The salesman will leave it with me for as long as needed so I will not be rushed in my demo.
  9. jayvanderplaat

jayvanderplaat LawnSite Member

I took delivery of mine, 305C CR last October, little things, like bucket teeth, made me nuts. with in the first hour, 3 of them had broken off. Next day my salesman was at my door with 5 more, by the next day I had broken all 5 off. CAT gave me 2 new heavy duty, large capacity buckets which they had cut off and replaced the tooth and post to a TLB style with side pins rather than a coil type top pin. Other wise its been great. I had a 304.5. It had manuel glow plugs. The 305, everything is electronic. When its -15 took a little while longer to get running, when I changed to CAT's 5 - 30 Syn Artic oil everything got better. It was a joy to change the oil. Wish I could enjoy the process as much as on my 277B. When CAT changed the tooth style a whole new world of teeth, and digging opens up.
  10. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I love the 305C CR -- it is incredibly smooth and powerful (I like it better than Cat's backhoe loaders...). Major changes were to the cab (operator comfort) and stick and bucket forces; Cat also realigned its models, so the 305C CR is actually a larger machine than the 305CR.