Cat 307 SSR Opinions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Tom07, May 9, 2007.

1. Tom07

Tom07 LawnSite Member
    from 06478

Hi-
    I was wondering what people think about Cat 307 SSR excavators? Are they good machines? Is the pivot boom a trouble point? I was thinking of buying one to do drainage work and some rough grading/removing rocks and some stumps. Do they have enough power for work like this or should I look towards a bigger machine like a Cat 311? Thanks.

Tom

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure the Cat 307 SSR's were only available as grey market machines.

Do you mean one of these:

[​IMG]

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I'm thinking, the SSR's as far as I know were only available as grays. If so, I'd stay away. I hear a small amount of guys don't have problems with parts on the grays, but why take the risk? And yes, the side swing boom is prone to having issues. More maintenance, less durable.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

They are like the Komatsu's they are too top heavy. One contractor has a 313 Cat with a boom like that and its a gray market machine. He says there is enough extra weight on the boom to cause you to roll backwards on a steep slope.

5. Tom07

Tom07 LawnSite Member
    from 06478

Wow...I didn't know that they were grey market. In that case, are Cat 308C CR machines better? Are they big enough to do the jobs I asked or should I go bigger? Thanks guys

Tom

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It is hard to tell without more information but unless you plan on moving thousands of yards of material and pulling larger stumps and moving huge rocks a 308 would work fine I would think. Are you a homeowner or contractor?

7. Tom07

Tom07 LawnSite Member
    from 06478

Right now it will be used at my home, but I have some friends that need work done as well, so it may be used for side jobs in the near future.

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The C machine will be fairly expensive as it is newer. You could find an older 307 size machine much cheaper and it will have similiar specs..

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you can't find a good used Cat you can always try find a 490 Deere or a 120 Hitachi. You do want to say away from the machines imported from overseas aka gray market machines because parts are harder to get and sometimes dealers don't even want to deal with those machines. Where I'am there are alot of gray market Komatsu machines.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Find a 307B, they can be had from $35-55K depending on year, hours, etc.. 308CCR's can be gray just like every other excavator model from Cat, but the 307SSR was never released for a North America market. The way to tell if a Cat is gray is if it has REGA printed on the side of the machine and there is a blue circle and a smiley face Japanese guy, that's the way to tell. Any gray Komatsu, Hitachi, Kobelco, whatever with that blue smiley face is a gray market machine. They're almost always placed right behind the cab door.

I knew a guy that had a gray market 311 and he said you could get basic parts for it, but some things were difficult. He said the Cat dealer would treat him like a criminal every time he came into the service dept.. I think if you were buying a mini getting a gray market machine wouldn't be so bad, seems like getting parts for gray mini ex's isn't too bad at all, but the larger stuff is such a gamble.