1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cat 308d sb

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by JVPLANDSCAPING, Nov 27, 2010.

1. DeereMan85

DeereMan85 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

All of this is true, but those are not current models. IIRC, the 2305 might still be made by Yanmar, and I think possibly the 3005 and 4005 as well. The rest are built by Deere in Augusta, Georgia. Those made by Yanmar are a very small portion of the tractors in that size range. The 3X20s and 4X20s, which are the most popular, are made by Deere. I agree there is nothing sinister or misleading about it, but that is not the way it is normally presented on these forums.

That is correct in some cases. And yes, Yanmar makes a very good engine.
  2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Deere builds its own 4WD loaders from the 344J on up (compact loaders are rebranded Liebherrs).
  3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Its not any different. Never said CASE did not rebadge, obviously I know they do. Also dont forget that the NH excavator is a Kobelco. Ron said all the green tractors are built by Deere, my only point was that some of the JD smaller tractors were made by someone else. Personally, I really don't care.
  4. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Back to your originial question JVP on the 308D, the one we have at work has a little over 1,000hrs and it don't track worth a dam in dirt, you'll have one pedal all the way back and the other verly moved to get it to go straight. I think it's got a drive motor screwed up. We have a 36"-40"? smooth lip bucket and full of mud on a pretty good slope you have to really suck it all the way in to swing up hill. I hate the cab I feel like I'm in a little box, you have to duck down to see when loading a truck the cabs way to short. The only positive is that it's pretty smooth for a CAT unlike alot of them I've ran and I do like the boom swing and auxilirty switch on the joysticks. In this size machine I would stick to the Komatsu Pc78, I'd like to try the Takeuchi 180 or Kubota 080.
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Try a Hitachi ZX75, true cadillac of an excavator, I've been using my Dad's since Tuesday to hulk 400 tons of concrete out of a barn, the hell with Cat.

JVPLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

Holy Crow, not really what I expected. Bobcatexc, there is a fix for the tracking. Like I said they made a movie of 3 308s climbing a hill. Mine made it about 100 feet and quit. Interim fix and Final fix made it to the top twice as fast. CAT just blew 14,000 on replacing swing motor and its no better. Dealer also just got 2 new machines in that are no better. So unless you only work on level ground and don't dig any cellar holes you'll be OK. Komatsu guy is trying to sell me a PC88MR-8, but the numbers are silly. After owning 8 CAT machines I just never thought I'd be in this situation