Cat 320DL

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Finally, information has been released on the new 320. The 324/325 and 330 D series have been out for a while, just nothing in the smaller range. There's a possiblity it's been out for a little while now, I could have missed it, but I noticed it on Cat's website last night. They may have Deere beat with this series, I counted Deere's C series and Cat's C series excavators as a tie in my book. The closest Cat dealer for me at the moment is a good hour drive, I may keep in touch with a sales guy to see when a D series 320 would be hitting the lot. Would love to take a look at one.

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Man i better go order mine! BRB!:walking: :walking:

3. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

I was at Cat a couple weeks ago and saw the 325D. I didnt compare any specs but the machine looks very similar to the C. The cab seems almost identical besides moving a few things around.

4. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

scag -- the specs have been posted for roughly two weeks on the Cat website. But it's good that someone posted that anyhow. :)

bobcat9957, the biggest change is the ACERT engine. There were also a few hydraulic improvements that afford the 325D L more productivity, but you are right in saying that the two machines are very similar. It wasn't meant to be a large update so much as it was a re-power and cleaning up some issues.

5. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

They added a 3-mode productivity selector, and a heavy lift mode (slows engine rpm, raises pressure about 150 psi) . Increased productivity by about 5%. More pressure (102 psi) more hp (7%) increase), heavier (500#'s). Overall smoother, more power, faster. Addressed known issues.

I was at the proving grounds in January, side by side against Komatsu and Deere, 320 was doing 5 passes to their 4 to 4.5. They did a really nice job in the cab, new trade dress looks good. Machine is quiet and nice to operate.

320 DL.jpg

6. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

Mmm... Tinaja/Tucson is the only US proving ground or demostration area I haven't been to. I wish I could have gone to Spring Training this year. Would've been a new products funfest.

7. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

Who are you guys that you can afford talk about a $150,000-$170,000 piece of equipment like its the latest video game? All I can say is that I want to be able to do that someday.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

For some of us, this is life. I'm 20 and I'll be doing this work forever, love it. Once you've had a taste of the heavy iron, you'll never want to do anything else. I am going to be back in lawn care shortly only so I can establish myself, move into landscaping after a few years, then get back into excavation. I miss our 312 badly...

FWIW, I saw a 325DL on a DOT project a couple days ago. They really don't look too much different from a C series machine, minus the counterweight. It's what's on the inside that counts, I hope Deere is shaking in their boots!

9. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

Deere's D-series/Hitachi's somethingseries is doing pretty well, as far as I know. They've always been a solid product and the competition is even more staggering than the SSL business... it seems that no one has a bad machine anymore. It all depends on everything other than the machine itself.

bobcatkid, I'm never going to get a big excavator either -- I'm not even in the excavating business. :(

10. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

But you see I want to be in the excavating business. I have often dreamed of having a 312 or D4 on a tag with a Mack tandem and do basements and land clearing for a living. I just dont have the capital to invest in such equipment right now. Maybe someday, Im just working my way up.