cat converter

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by newblade, Jun 2, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever cut off a cat. converter from a truck, like 1991 Chevy silverado? Will it hurt fuel economy? What would it hurt?

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

your wallet when you get fined.

Does your state have emmissions testing?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have an '89, and I run no muffler. It just runs big pipe right through the converter. Anyway, I developed a hole in it, and my muffller guy they can just put a muffler on, and it will be alright (state law says they're not supposed to - if they take one off they have to replace it...unless it is already off when they get the vehicle). Anyway, as it turned out, they just welded a new cold plug onto it (that is what blew out). It costed me 10 bucks.

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

You don't deal with the state you deal with the FEDS on this. :rolleyes: It makes the truck louder and nothing for fuel wise well that I know.

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

If you have an oxygen sensor after the cat it will most likely throw a check engine light and run bad. You can get a high flow cat that won't rob hp and still stay legal.

6. Master Po

Master Po LawnSite Member

I think that this rule is applicable to 95 and older trucks; if you were to hollow out your cat it would pass an inspection as of this year. All the inspection stations are doing away with superannuated exhaust sniffers and are using OBD. Consequently, on older trucks and cars that do not have OBD, they can only do a visual inspection. My brother hollowed out the cats on his 95 camaro, which is nowhere near legal to begin with, and it passed an inspection.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

It is my understanding that if a vehicle is 10 years old or older, the owner can remove the converter legally. In theory, i suppose no converter would equal slighty better fuel economy and increased power.

8. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

It actually helps to take it off. On older trucks you can take it off without problems. I have a 88 dodge dakota cut the cat off, I get better gas milage, more power and better sound. It opens up the exhuast and lets it breth better. My state is not strict at all on this they could care less but it depends on your state.

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

WRONG, the only time you are allowed to legally remove a cat is when it is being replaced with a new one. Take a look at the Clean Air Act and the anti-tampering laws. You can get some big time fines for driving without a cat.

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

my old dakota didnt have one, had a straight pipe in replace of the rattleing cat. man did it sound sweet, everyone thought i had some aftermarket exhaust on it. plus in michigan we dont have to have inspections like other states have, so its less of a chance getting yelled at for running without a cat.