Cat days

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirtman2007, Aug 13, 2012.

1. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, big machine. Just can't see anything out the back

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Amazing pics of the Cats, as much as I hate to say it, Cat still amazes me, but something tells me, 10 years from now they are going to look back at the E series excavators and D series skid steers and say "WTF were we thinking?"

3. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

How did you guys like the 316E?

4. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Nice machine, couldn't see anything out the side/back, but it has a camera and a screen in the cab, that actually worked well. This particular one had trouble digging in the hard clay, but I think the machine was set up wrong for the conditions, the stick was way to long.

5. CarlBuilt

CarlBuilt LawnSite Member

Why because of the poor visibility out the back ??

6. bobcat_ron

Yup!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. CarlBuilt

CarlBuilt LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 305.5 D excavator a couple of weeks ago, I was talking to my salesman about the new E series bigger excavators because I saw a few in there yard and noticed how high the engine compartment was, and he told me they either had to extend the back of the machine out or go up...and Cat decided to go up.

Thank the EPA it is to house all the emissions junk !!!

8. bobcat_ron

Funny why they even had to go either up or out when everyone else has stayed the same except for a few inches up, not a few feet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

it was a very nice machine. Kinda weak in the hard clay we were digging but like tom said it had the long stick, q/c and big bucket that just killed its breakout force.

As far as working in the woods I'd never take one onto a clearing job. you cant see your right side and there would be a smashed door the first day. cameras nice on the back but I doubt it would still work after a couple years.

10. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

From the looks of the pictures and videos on this thread, it looks like they've really improved that factory since I worked there. Impressive given the soft (overall) global demand for compact equipment.

Nice that you were able to go, take pictures, and share them here! Thanks.