CAT does it again!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Mar 8, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Caterpillar Announces the First-of-Its-Kind Electric Drive
    Track-Type Tractor.

"PEORIA, IL— In a move that further positions it as the world’s leading manufacturer of earth moving equipment, Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE: CAT) is unveiling the first innovative AC electric drive track-type tractor in the industry. The revolutionary electric drive system developed for track-type tractors gives the D7E an unmatched balance of power, efficiency, control and maneuverability. The machine will be showcased at CONEXPO/CON-AGG 2008 March 11-15 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
    “The D7E offers a quantum leap in customer value through significant productivity increases and reduced owning and operating costs,” said Mark Pflederer, vice president of Caterpillar’s Heavy Construction & Mining Division. “This is another example of Caterpillar’s global technology leadership and commitment to sustainable innovation which is not only good for our customers economics, but the environment as well.”
    From a performance standpoint, this new product demonstrates Caterpillar’s commitment to the industry with a machine that does more work and consumes less fuel and parts while providing customers with lower operating costs. Caterpillar plans to commercially introduce the D7E in select markets during 2009.
    “From an environmental sustainability perspective, the D7E uses substantially less fuel per hour – dramatically reducing the amount of carbon dioxide emissions,” said Caterpillar Group President Stu Levenick. “This revolutionary design consumes fewer resources over its working life than any other track-type tractor in its class. All major components are engineered to be rebuilt or reused in the future.”
    The D7E is in the 60,000-pound (27 000-kilogram) weight range and is powered by a Cat® C9 engine producing 235 horsepower (175 kilowatts). A traditional mechanical transmission is not needed, because the variable speed electric motors serve the function of a continuously variable transmission. The electric drive train has 60 percent fewer moving parts compared to previous D7s. The electric system also provides power to auxiliary components so that no engine belts are needed. The C9 engine, complete with ACERT® Technology, meets U.S. Tier 3 emissions standards, and the tractor has been designed with Tier 4 in mind. The new D7E has other innovative new features including an exclusive center-post cab, belt less engine and SystemOneTM undercarriage."

2. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

my dads roofing company, has been doing cat's roof in Peoria and Mossville IL for some time now, the buildings are HUGE! i was just on the Peoria building this past friday. we get free tickets to the cat show in Peoria every year in june or july i cant remember....just thought i would share...

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

BC you a PR king, you should work for a presidential campaign. The truth is CAT purchased that technology from another company. I cant regurgitate the name. The innovative technology as is often the truth came from a small company. CAT deserves credit for introducing this technology into their product. Please though, give credit where credit is do.

4. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Ron i see your back online at the other forum.Try to be good now:):usflag:

5. Construct'O

from Sw Iowa

I had one of those:dancing: D7E !!!!!!!!

Only thing is it was a 1965 model ,pony engine start,high horse(180hp) turbo.Weight in around 52k pounds and a good machine for it time.No electric crap.

Ron i hope they didn't get the electrical design from where Bobcat got there joystick tec :laugh::usflag:

6. Construct'O

from Sw Iowa

Westinghouse General Electric:confused:

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Electric drive is okay but it will be more expensive. It will be the same technology as a electric drive city bus. Any electric drive thou needs to run through planetary gears. You can pretty much consider your throttle not the engine but the electricity as a dimmer switch.

8. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would like to see the plug in for that....your meter will burn up the bearings in the the meter wheel:dizzy:

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure as hell not going to kiss any butt.

10. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

It is just another way to help run up the cost of the machines. Imagine how much more this will run you off the lot and then when it breaks down. Crazy is all I can say.