Cat mini excavator ROPS mount recall

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently, there has been a recall issue for the ROPS mounts on previous series Cat minis, I don't believe there is a recall for the C series minis. My dad was getting his worked on today, they sent a tech out to do the required work and it seems everything will be good now. By the sound of things, the mounts on the machine to the ROPS are cracking, not the ROPS itself which would manifest an entirely new ROPS. By law, ROPS cannot be welded or tweaked at all. Dad said there were no cracks or any issues with his machine but it has been upgraded. Just thought I'd throw this out there, see if anyone has heard of this.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Well isn't that just scream quality :laugh:

ROPs are not something you want to fool around especailly machines without guarding. If your dad was worried he could have Cat pay for NDT (non destructive testing) done to the cab checking all the welds etc.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

No sense having testing done, seems they've already done that and are fixing the problem. As I said, it's not the ROPS itself, it's the mounts on the machine that the ROPS bolts to, at least as far as I understand it. I'm not sure if it was a limited run of only a select amount of serial numbers, not quite sure. All I know is that they came out, fixed it, and left. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has heard of this or knows a little more about it, waiting for you Cat techs (I know you're out there) to chime in and get some input.

4. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the "By law, ROPS cannot be welded or tweaked at all." comment is true. I know CAT has approved repairing ROPS on many occasions, although there are very strict guidelines as to what can and can't.

I am not gonna comment on any updates, they are confidential. Nuf said.

5. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Other day while walking the 302.5 across asphalt the rops started shaking and swaying quite a bit. I wondered about the strength. Now I see this and it makes sense. Already had an update on the hood closure. It would come open while going down the road on trailer.

6. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone that bought there CAT machine used should contact there dealer once a year or so and ask about any available updates that need to be performed. If you purchased your machine new then you really don't have to worry as any updates are automated.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Earthworker, how is the VTS working on the 440?

8. allinearth

What can I say about the 440? I love that thing! I put the 1 yard light materials bucket from the Cat on it. Cat machine couldn't handle it, not enough break out. The Case handles it like a dream. I was moving gravel the other day and could go in for a full scoop. I was able to pile it as high as the bucket would take and the 440 would break it out and carry it like nothing. Also had to hog some heavy wet red clay and move it about 100 yards. Man, the case ate it up. For most tasks don't even need to gas it to get it done like the cat. Only complaint is a broken weld on the fuel pedal with about 20 hrs. Now have about 60 hrs on it, most with VTS and this thing is a hog. Haven't checked the size of fuel tank vs. the cat but seems to go a lot farther on a tank.

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

What model Cat was it?

10. allinearth

242b pos. Still have it unfortunately. Use it at the nursery for loading mulch etc