Cat Rental Store

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, Jan 8, 2006.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Anyone rent equipment for the Cat rental store? I am needing a trackhoe for a couple of days, do they do stuff like this? How are there rates? I need something in the 30,000lb size. Thanks

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Cat Rental Store is AWESOME! We rent from them exclusively, mainly because they are affiliated with our local dealer. I can rent a 312CL for $460 a day, so their rates aren't the cheapest but the machines are always within a couple years old, the A/C, heater, and radios always work, and delivery, if you need it, is excellent. We gladly pay a few more dollars to deal with them, mainly because nobody else rents what they have around here. I needed a 312 and they didn't have one available on the day I needed it so they sent me a 315 at the cost of a 312. Hard to get that kind of service elsewhere.

3. wanabe

from So. IL

Thanks for the info! Looks like a 312 will work for me. Just wondering, but will they do a 1-2 day rental? Looks like I could get my project compleated real quick with a big toy like that! Thanks again!

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Scag, at least you weren't trying to get a 307 and got a 315 instead...I can't imagine doing landscaping with a 315 aside from massive rock placement.

I wish we had a cat rental here, but all we have is a service/sales dealer. We have a united Rentals, but most of their stuff has been beat to death, and a private company that has two very nice case mini's (3k and 9k machines) that I rent on occasion.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I was doing some landclearing so the larger machine actually saved me time and since the rental cost was the same vs. a 312, I made more money! Except for I burned a little more fuel, overall I shaved off some hours.

That's the beauty of Cat Rental store, most all of the machines are extremely new with less than 1500 hours or so. Some of the minis aren't as new and are kind of beat up due to inexperienced operators jumping in a skid steer and going to town, but for the most part, nobody rents a 12K+ weight class excavator to do a backyard job. so all the bigger stuff is really nice. And having A/C up here is extremely important on a machine with a cab in the summer and it's really nice to get a rental machine where it actually works.

6. wanabe

from So. IL

Well I called my Cat rental store and got a nice price of $750 a day for a 315, and they did not even have a machine available, or anything close in size! This is + trucking and diesel.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that's expensive. I could have that machine delivered for $100 within 15 miles and the daily cost would be right around $500.

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Where at in southern IL? I know when I built my house I had a guy come out to dig the basement and I think he only charged something like $95 per hour. I think it only took him about 2 hours to dig the basement. So you might be better off just having someone come out and do the work for you???

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, at 95 an hour, makes you wonder how he makes any money! Good deal for you, though.

10. wanabe

from So. IL

Well I now found a JD Dealer that has a 200(46,000lb machine) for $650 a day, so I am going to try that out. Much more machine than the Cat, $100 a day cheeper, and it is only 15 miles away.
    all ferris, I am from Nashville, where are you at in Belleville? I have worked in and arround Belleville in the past. Anyway, the guy arround here who has 2 trackhoes worked for me last fall, and then stuck it in my @ss. I now have a lot that will not drain, and it was there job to fix it. It holds a nice 8 inch deep pool of water. I have been stood up waiting at the jobsite too many times by these idiots, and will have no more.