CAT saves the day

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by qps, Aug 20, 2008.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Well...well...well....the contractor doing the site work next door to my shop came strolling over this morning....after I heard his 1845 CASE...constantly dieing...I figured he was just killing it in the pea gravel piles...but...the story goes like this....ugh...excuse me....do you own that machine....yes...would you be interested in helping us prep this 6,000 s.f. site...our CASE just came out of the shop and it won't stay running...slow day any ways so what the heck...sure...you could see the amazment in the workers eyes as the MTL pushed huge piles of pea gravel around the job site that would stall the wheel machine.....to add insult to injury I had to push his CASE loader up on his trailer.....3 hrs. later...job done...my thoughts kept drifting to KSSS and dozerman and there brand X machines.....best of all...my undercarraige did not explode as one would think....ahhh...life is good:laugh:

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Damn Case's, they and their useless owners think they are capable of doing anything.

I would love to work in Pea Gravel someday.

Can't Attempt Serious Excavation.

Can't Afford Something Else.

3. qps

from Indy

Preach the word brother Ron......:cool2:
    on a side note I know I'm in for a verbal a$$ kicking when KSSS see's this....

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

NICE...........This certainly is not apples to apples comparison. The 1845C had been in production since the early 90's. Since you did not specify a C model it could be as old as early 80s if it is a straight 1845. Certainly things are going to break down. The 1845C generally considered one of the best skid steers ever made and if resale is any indication than it certainly is an easy arguement to make. The 1845C made 56 hp nonturboed and had a ROC of 1750. The 297C makes 90 hp I believe and I don't know the ROC but I am sure it is around 3000 at 35%. I would hope that you can out push it. The 1845C likely costs, depending on the year, 20-22K new. It is still worth 10K in any usable condition. Good luck getting that kind of return of investment on your CAT. I am glad we are on your mind though. Gives me that wanted feeling.:cool2: Maybe you can follow the CASE guys around and wait for their machines to go down and pickup their work.:cool2: I need a beer.:laugh:

5. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

I remember our 1845C costing 16k back in the early 90's. it is still floating around town several owners later and very beat, and I know it sold a few years ago for 9k and I bet that guy could get that or close to that for it. very good return investment

6. qps

from Indy

I believe it was a 1845C...I was to busy being so smug with myself to notice....it only had 1300 hours on it...and the guy bought for a song so he got a good deal...BUT come on.....you know I couldn't let this go by without a good ribbing....that's a good ideal about following the CASE guys around...but there's just not that many around:cry:.....to tell the truth but butt was itching when I thought of you guy's...on a serious note....the CAT is a much larger machine than I need, a smaller more nibble machine would have been perfect for this job...I know...I know...I can't believe I'm saying it.....after the CASE was fixed...3 hrs later...a loose wire on the fuel pump or something like that...the ole boy was flying around the jobsite....lesson learned is the biggest isn't always the best for production....there you happy now......

7. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

And what exactly is your point of this post? What did cat make durring the 1845 years? Oh, thats right, they did not even have a skid back then. So really, you should compare a 1845 to a long handled shovel. Thats what you would of been using if you had the cat attude problem black then. How about comparing a new 450 CTL to your cat? I am just glad that you were able to push pea gravel. We all know how hard it is to push that stuff!

8. qps

from Indy

First of all....kiss my A$$.....I was ribbing a few friend's on here....you not included......you can take your attitude and stick where the sun doesn't shine...

9. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

i feel this thread being deleted.....

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Why yes Tim I am happy.......except about that butt iching thing...you know they make creams for that..........Thank you.:clapping: I am still going to have another beer though.:drinkup: