CAT skid steer Tracks or Wheels

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cuttin-to-the-Max, Apr 8, 2011.

1. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok Guy im looking to get a Cat..I like their Lease to buy program (you can rent the machine and every Dollar goes to The machine you buy)
    I was wondering which is the better way to go? Tracked or Wheels?
    I'll just start off my saying im leaning more towards the tracks because it would be easier to go over grass (i assume) For landscape jobs and what not. Also For the winter.....My buddy has a Cat skid steer and he uses a 12' Box for it (might be part of the reason) And today i saw his tires were pretty bald!

would a track loader be better?

My Area's CAT rep was out of the office by the time i called him but The rental Dept. Rep told me the guy who plows CAT's yard Chooses the Tracked Cat...Maybe that means something.....:rolleyes:

2. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

plowing i would say tracks. On grass tires, from my experience with them tracks do alot more damage when turning. If you are doing alot of installs in heavy mud I would consider tracks. Personally I prefer tires, and the only time I really see a great beneift with tracks is for snow, tires work but tracks works better is puchins with a large plow. If you are just scooping and moving the snow there isn't any real difference. Also if plowing and you are going low down to the pavement tires are better, tracks are good if there is a layer of packed snow on the pavement.
  3. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on your budget (tracks cost more)
    Maintenance skills (track machines are exepensive to upkeep)
    Main landscape use ( heavy worok or just moving stuff around lawns tracks are better in more conditions, tires are better running up and down drives and streets, tracks are good for running accross lawns)
    What type of snow work ( do you just plow if so tires are better, if you plow and have to push back snow piles if so you need tracks to ramp back piles and stack more)
  4. cuttin-to-the-Max

Well I would deffinetly have to push back a few piles into the lake (if the pile gets too high for a boss v to stack) at one account. I also plow sub divisions so plowing the driveways I do wouldn't be bad idea setup is gonna be a cat skidsteer and a 8-10' kage innovation box setup..

Then in the summer months it would really just sit mostly... We do have a hand-full accounts that require 30 yards of mulch each. So being able to drive on grass would be nice....
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what about for sod installs, as in removal of old grass and dirt. (my steer has tires, but they are the foam filled heavy ones) I was thinking of switching to pneumatic???
  6. cuttin-to-the-Max

I say go on the cat website....there is a little Survey thing that says "hellp me determine which Cat skid id for me"
    I would say tracks is better for you but thats just me
  7. ryde307

I would agree if thats your focus grading sod work and so on tracks are better.
  8. ryde307

How do you get it from job to job when plowing? if they are close and you drive it from place to place and its main purpose is snow I would get tires. Tracks are not cheap to replace.
  9. cuttin-to-the-Max

Right now I keep a trailer and compact wheel loader (which we sold) at my dads house in the winter.
    I plow his driveway and his sub division then 2 across the street. We plow the sidewalk since it only goes like 10MPH (from sub to sub)
    Then trailered it to far places if needed.
  10. kgserv

kgserv LawnSite Member

how will you trailer a 8-10 boxblade and a skid? from a track loader owner. buy a wheeled machine. if its gonna set for 8 months, rent one long term it will be cheaper.