1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cat test run

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcatboy, Sep 16, 2005.

1. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

Tested a cat 246 today , and I was expecting to be unimpressed. I was impressed with it , the machine is very quiet and the foot throttle is a nice feature to. The only thing I would have to get used to is the controls. Besides that
    i think they make decent machines.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent choice :waving:
  3. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Its probably been said before but if you were a complete newcomer to skid steers the Cat Pilot controls are (a bit touchy) but easy to learn. Coming from other machines it may actually take a bit longer and it was like a month before the penny dropped with me: just how good the controls are.

There are definetly better balanced machines on the market but when it comes to serviceability and availability of spares...well, where I am, if its not a Cat its a .......

In the 226 size market I think Mustang and Toyota have great machines but in the 246 size I think Cat has made the great allrounder and its got more grunt than it will ever have traction.

I have just worked my 246B (04) for three weeks on rocks. It should have been done with a loader or at least a tracked machine. It was incredible some of the rocks we moved and apart from buckling 4 rims (I have 3 spare :cry: ) the machine was unscathed.
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

and I thought you were getting a new pet when I read the title line...;)
  5. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

My kids call our 246B "FlatCat"...you see oneday I was in the machine and this cat...... :rolleyes: :blush: ..(jk)
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The reason for the pilot controls is to reduce operator fatigue I have only been in older Bobcat machines with foot pedal controls. You get tired running one of those machines I feel like I got run over by a truck after 4-5 hours. I run rubber tired backhoe for 8-10 hours a day I'am tired but I'am not stiff and sore.

I would like to try a newer skid steer but skid steers are not used much around here mostly backhoes are used for moving material around.
  7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

In the spring i am going to buy my first skid steer. I'll be looking at the 246 size machines. I can't wait to demo the cat, deer and NH.

8. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Look at the S220, too, but use SJC or AHC. :) Gotta throw my plugs for Bobcat, right? haha

Squizzy, would love to hear your stories! Also got any pictures?

Last question: how do you stall the engine in a Cat? I know they're anti-stall, but it's still possible... if any of you have tips, I'd like to hear 'em. :D
  9. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

we run a S250 with the SJC, was skeptical about the pilot controls, but alot of manufactuers are going to the "iso" type setup and once I got used to it I LOVE IT!!!! Less fatigue and I can answer my phone or ash a cigarette without stopping or trying to drive with my knee. And if we were to hire another experienced operator that is used to the "hand controls"(like case) he/she can flip a switch and rock on.
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a Cat 257B back in March of this year. Absolutely love it.

The controls were a bit touchy at first, I couldn't do really fine work without being jerky, but now that I have some time on them I can run smooth. It did not take long at all to learn how to feather them either.