Cat259D/289D vs Bobcat T590/T650

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ShadowCat, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen a video of a 259D lifting a 4200lb concrete block off of a loading dock, take it to the ground, lift it to the top of its lift height and then place it back on the loading dock. It should have plenty of power.

The 259D also has standard 2spd. It's an extra cost on a T650 and I don't think the T590 has 2spd.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ShadowCat

ShadowCat LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Correct, the T590 is single speed... Definitely advantage to the Cat.

The 259 does seem like a little beast based on what I have read.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ShadowCat

from Florida

Yeah, the T650 is pretty much out... Unless it is such a great machine that I would be better to trade in trailer in order to accommodate it. Not sure if I have seen or heard anything which makes that the best choice though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ShadowCat

from Florida

The trailer weighs 2500, so that leaves 11,500 for the track loader (assuming the attachments get loaded into the truck)

The 259 looks good though so if I end up with that I am easily in the clear. However, like the T650, if I end up really thinking the 289d is the best, I could always trade trailer in to get a bigger safety net for weight.

Do u think coming close to the weight, but staying under, is dangerous? I assumed axles were rated lower than their actual capacity.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ShadowCat

from Florida

Have you used a dozer blade on a smaller machine? Both dealers say they come with smaller blades so the performance, relative to size, is about the same regardless since they are pushing smaller amounts of dirt they dont get bogged down. Clearly job would take longer if large, I just want to make sure the weight of the blade doesn't hinder the little guys.

I like what you wrote comparing the two, very helpful... Especially the cooling part. I had not thought about fluid capacity and only was stuck on how dirt was being sucked in off the tracks.. I suppose a cooler machine is more important than a dirty engine bay, I can always clean that out!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

He hates bobcats.

That being said buy what you want. Ask for demos.

I would buy a bobcat over the cat. But lately been eyeing kubota again
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd echo what whiffyspark said regarding demoing the machines on your short list.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ShadowCat

from Florida

I will be demoing the 289D on Friday afternoon... Cat thinks they can get a 259D there as well for comparison.

I ran a Bobcat 750 for a little bit, so I think that covers the T650. I sat in the T590 but they did not have time to let me run it out back in the dirt.

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

You'll like the ride quality of the Cat's, very smooth. Don't believe the BS that others say about Cat's suspension not being able to cut a grade, those remarks are spread by people who can't even run a push mower in a straight line.

10. ShadowCat

from Florida

I take all opinions, good or bad, with the proverbial grain of salt. I know it boils down to me, but the feedback gives me great information to consider, or for things to look at on each machine.