Catalog Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawman, Apr 21, 2001.

1. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the blades that are sold in the catalogs, IE greenline, landscapers supply or others. Is the price about the same as the deal? Do they hold up or fall apart? Thank you for the information.

2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

greenline for the most part carries good stuff..I got blades a little over a year ago for my 36 and they were fine. I had ordered enough other stuff to get the free shipping and decided to try out the blades..I have no complaints with them..however I did order some blades from rotary for my shortcut..they were the first to come out with an aftermarket blade for that mower....the lift was not as good as the original excell blades from the dealer ship but I did save some money...the thickness was fine, it was just the wing was not high enough to creat enough lift..

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought 6 stock exmark blades for my 60" lazer and 3 gators also from my dealer and the stock ones were $10 and the gators were $15 each. Seem pretty fairly priced to the catalog numbers. :)

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Randy,

I have bought blades from every supplier you can think of, including my dealer. The dealers are just a little too high priced for me. Those same two blades mail order are $7.79, and $8.99. No tax and I try to wait till I have a $200 order and I get free shipping. Plus I dont even have to leave the house! I dont buy large quantities of blades from a supplier until I try just one set to see how they are.

Good Luck.

5. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use original blades on my Walker. The Walker blades are around .192 inches in thickness, where all the aftermarket blades I tried were between .155 - .160 of an inch thick. That is a noticable difference.

The original thicker blades wear better than the cheaper thinner blades for me and my Walker. I don't know about other manufactures but I do know I would rather pay a little more for quality for my Walker.

Once my dealer tried to pass aftermarket blades as original to us customers at original price. I called Walker and complained when dealer tried to sell me a set of blades that had one original, and one aftermarket. I was concerned about vibrations from using different thickness blades. Dealer said no problem. Walker agreed with me, called dealer and had them pull them from the shelves. Dealer apoligized.

Jim

6. MO & GO

MO & GO LawnSite Member

WE BUY FROM LANDSCAPERS SUPPLY, THEIR PRODUCTS JUST AS GOOD AS THE DEALERS BUT 1/2 PRICE!

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have used blades for my grasshopper from landscapers supply, J thomas, and greenline w/ good results Dave

8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have purchased blades for all my mowers from Landscapers Supply. I think they were all better than the ones I got from my dealers. If you only order one set though you are not saving that much with shipping and handling. I have saved about $3.00 to $7.00 per blade depending on the blades. I usually order two or three sets for each mower when I do order to make it worth the savings and time.

9. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

At the beginning of the season, I bought the new gator magnum blades for my great dane and scag. I just bought one set a piece. I love the performance of the blades but I hated dishing out 19.95 for each blade. I contacted Landscape supply and they have the same blades for $11.49. I just ordered 4 sets, but I haven't got them in yet...waiting.

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bought blades from landscaper supply in the past, but they sent me the wrong blades. I called them and they argued about this, telling me that it was the number that i needed(The blade I had was smaller than the right one that I needed).After some time they told me to just send them back,yea right I paid the shipping (13.00) to get them back to them and wound up buying them somewhere else. The blades are good quality,but when you have to pay for shipping to get their mistake back to them how much are you saving. Not worth the agravation to me.