1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Catcher capacities- how much can you mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 25, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

This question is stupid, hard to answer and you might not know the answer. But I will ask anyway. I have no experience with commercial walk behind grass and leaf catchers, so what size catcher do you have and how many sq. ft. of weekly lawn growth can you mow before emptying? I really only need one for leaves but of course it has to hold alot. Just curious, if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.
    Also what brands everyone using and list any prices you paid and websites where I might get more info.
  2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

It all depends on growth, and the size of your deck. With real heavy growth, and a 52" deck, you may go 50ft and fill a jumbo grass gobbler. With lots of leaves, you may go 20 foot, it all depends. There is no leaf catcher big enough, they fill so fast.

You will learn to cut down a lawn with heavy growth before putting on a bagger.

I prefer a side bagger for that reason, I don't want to take huge volume, it is to time consuming, energy draining, expensive filling trucks with grass. If you cut it before putting on the bagger, you can leave it looking great, and take way less grass. It would be hard to do that with a rear bagger mounted to a Z.

Look at a jumbo gobbler type, and you can get a leafxtender for half again as much that will double your volume for leaf season. They work well, and give you some freedom, not to mention cheaper then the big vac systems.

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Go aluminum

I'm thinking of the JMG. they have a 4.9 cu-ft and a 7.9 cu-ft extension. Thats almost 13 cu-ft. They run $349 each for the catcher and extension. Also I think captdevo sells the Accelerator 6.2 cu-ft at a great price.
    I've used the steel ones and am ready for something lighter or with more capacity with the same weight.
    I've use cloth and that was to cumbersome and clumsy to empty.

Jay is right about side discharging tall grass then going over it and bagging the second pass. In that short time it takes to go over the lawn once, by the time you go over it again with the bag, the grass has lost enough moisture to pack into the bagger much better. And the clippings get cut finner.

Works much better than trying to bag on the first pass sometimes.

Send in the circle card from Turf mag. There are some baggers advertised in the back.
  4. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I use a jumbo grass gobbler and even though they can be a pain during heavy growth in the spring I would recommend one if you want a low buck bagger.I buy rubbermaid barrels at lowes for about nine bucks a piece so I always have plenty to scatter around properties where I will be away from the truck. You can fill them as you go and then use the wb to carry them to the truck when your done. I would advise chewing leaves up a little before you try to bag em.
  5. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have no knowledge of the grass goblers but i do have some experience with the Accelerator baggers and I like them they are light weight and empty easy and the attachment points are quick on most machines ! They make a 4.15 cu ft / 3.15 bushel and a 6.2 cu ft/ 4.96 bushel . They range in list prices as follows

Large 4.15 cu ft - 329.95-379.95
    XL 6.20 cu ft- 459.95-499-95

They also make them in models to fit the Honda, John Deere,Toro, and Ariens 21" these are 3.3cu ft/ 2.64 bushel
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Eric, I had the John Deere grass catcher on my 48" WB. When bagging leaves, it filled real fast. You were better off just dicing them up and bagging the small pieces. The mounting plate was always breaking. The thing was welded 4 or 5 times. It was a poor design. I don't know if the after market ones mount the same way.
  7. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

If we approach a job site and it is really tall, we will chop cut it one through by pushing down the on the handles to raise the front deck up a bit, then do a normal cut, then finally put the bag on. It turns out quite nicely and involves a lot less grass. If we happen to have 2 guys running the mowers, one will mow extremely high and one at normal depth to achieve normal cuttage.
  8. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

The aftermarket baggers, well at least the accelerators use a short rod that gos through a hole on the side of the deck and then the rear where it goes over the discharge chute there is kind of a lip and these go on really slick and they dump easy as well as clean easy
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What ever you Use to Bag Just dump It Into The Jrco Transporter & Tub You Can get 10 Bushles Of Grass In It. You Will Need all the room You Can Get when doing Leaves. www.jrcoinc.com
    Happy New Year Eric.

They Show It On Your Mower!!
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE