1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

catcher counter weight or???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've been kicking around the idea of adding some tow hooks to the trailer and Z to have a better way to tie things down. I was looking a 2 bolts on the front of the Z that looked like a good place to put the tow hook bolts when I realized these two bolts were holding on a big weight.

I'm wondering if it's a counter weight to balance the Z after adding a catcher or if it's a standard weight that was put there to add weight for some reason?

I took it off. It was bolted on underneath the front where the 2 bolt holes are on each side of "ZT MAX". Here is a picture. What do you all think?
  2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Where's the pic?
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Ahhh!!! Thanks for asking, didn't realize it didn't post. Hereyago!

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

IMO, I think it would take a little more weight than that to balance the Z after you put a catcher on. My guess is that it is "standard", and that if you would put a catcher on that you would add more weight because the way it looks you would need a little more weight than that do balance it out. I may be wrong though.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I was thinking although it is pretty heavy, it probably wouldn't be enough for that because my front end is very light. I don't know how much it weighs, but as others have pointed out to me, it wouldn't be much in contrast to the entire weight of the machine (full fuel tank issue).

Since I had it off, I decided to test thing a bit to see if I could determine the need for such a weight as stock equipment. I ran it up and down a 35 degree bank to see if it felt any lighter in the front. I thought maybe it was there to help keep the machine from tipping back. I couldn't tell any difference.

I left it off. I couldn't see the point in straining to add dead weight back to my machine. Not in the front and especially not right over the casters.

Someone will probably come along now to inform me that I am a moron for not putting it back.

BTW....still looking at these machines? If so e-mail me. I have a few pictures you might be interested in seeing.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

its a counterweight for the catcher, although i wonder if its just a stock weight, when i was at the gravely dealer inquiring about a 260z and the optional catcher he said there is a 90# (i think thats what he said) weight kit for the front to counter balance it out.

maybe there should be a larger one there in its place? Also was the catcher full of clippings when you did your incline test?
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'd leave that on if I were you. I was playing on my grandpa's neighbor's homeowner Encore 48" Z (slow slow slow) anyway put it in his front ditch where any commercial Z would go, it was scary enough but when I turned to pull out of the ditch it about flipped on me! It needed more weight up front, it would wheelie on level ground about. On those smaller lighter weight Z's I'd want as much weight up front as I could get. Just my opinion, and hey you said you have alot of hills/slope areas so I'd leave it even if it's just for a bagger.

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

its probably a counter weight for bagging. my lazer z bagger came with 2 seventy pound weights to keep the front down when the rear bags get heavy. with out the weights it does superb wheelies...LA LAWNS:blob3:
  9. Envy Lawn Service

I think maybe I confused everyone. I don't have a catcher. I was just curious if this weight was intended to be a catcher counterweight. I don't know what it weighs. I still have it off. So far I haven't had an wheelies, front bouncing or anything like that.

I could be wrong, but I still think of it as dead weight.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

It could be a design afterthought. We sell Yazoo/Kees at the shop I work at along with Bob-Cat, Great Dane, Ferris and possibly Hustler soon, I'll see if anyone has any thoughts about it. If I don't post by tomorrow, email me a reminder.