Catcher for Dixon Mag Ram 44

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dh500, Jan 13, 2007.

1. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

Hi there,
    Could any of you kind folk help me find a picture of a grass catcher for Dixon Mag Ram 44?

What I have in mind is using it to to collect leaves. I have a problem with dry gum leaves creating a fire hazard.

Mixed in with the leaves are quite a lot of small twigs which I hope will get munched up enough to go into the catcher without clogging the system.

dh500

2. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's KS_Grasscutter's on another Dixon 44. I think he might be interested in selling it, not sure
    though...
    [​IMG]

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

The Dixon catcher is about the best around IMO. I use mine all the time, works great for grass, and also leafs. The blower pretty much turns the leafs into dust.

[​IMG]
    Kinda a back view of the catcher, only other picture I got of the catcher.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, what he said. Same catcher I use on my 50" Kodiak. Tried and true for sure. However... Since huskvarna owns Dixon now I'm unsure of the fate of this catcher. It's already no longer available for the Kodiak like mine as they have taken a husqvarna catcher and stuck a Dixon sticker on it.

The original styls catcher and blowers were unchanged for years. Excellent design on the blowers, stands up vertically and only adds 5 or 6 inches to the overall width of the machine, actually less than having the deflector on the deck. I would suggest moving quick if you want a catcher, like I said, unsure of the fate of them.

5. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pictures. I wonder what the chances are of finding one in Australia.

dh500

6. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

Thanks again for the photos. I am told the catcher is available in Australia but the nearest dealer is some distance away from me.

Questions:
    (1) If you do not wish to use the catcher, is it usual to remove the whole device or just the "duct"? In my case, I often use the machine for towing so I would not wish to leave the rear catcher bags and supports in place.

(2) How robust is the "impellor" in the catcher? How well does it stand up to breaking up dry leaves and small twigs?

(3) Are the impellor blades sharpenable? Is the impellor easily replaceable?

(4) If the duct does get clogged up or stringy grass gets wrapped around the impellor, are there any trapdoors for easy cleaning or do you have to remove the whole thing?

Thanks again

dh500

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

1. It is very easy to remove the blower and tube (remove one pin and it is off). It is also very easy to remove the entire catcher from the machine.
    2. The impeller works very good. They stand up real good to anything, and literally turn the leafs into dust. Also break up small twigs good.
    3. There are no "blades", it is just kinda a giant blower basically. Nothing to sharpen.
    4. The tube doesn't get clogged. Literally, I have never plugged mine up. The only thing close is if the bags get full, then it backs up into the tube. That will blow out as soon as you turn the mower deck back on (the blower runs from the deck belt basically. Also, never had anything wrap around the blower, but it would be pretty easy to take care of if it did.

8. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

On the strength of advice received, I went out and bought the catcher. It cost about 17% of the price of the mower which seemed rather a lot but when I got home and started fitting it I realised that it is quite a substantial piece of equipment - quite a bit heavier than I was expecting. It certainly works effectively on dead leaves, though the bags fill rather quickly.

Only drawback I have found is that I have lost one notch from maximum deck height, though I have in mind some possible engineering modifications which might get it back. (Lifting the deck to get over rough ground is an issue for me.)

Thanks again to Lawnsite members - without your support I may not have had the confidence to invest in the device.

dh500

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Glad it worked out well for you! Not sure what 17% of your cost of the mower was, in AU money, but in US currency, the catcher is about $700 for the total unit. I'm sure evrything there is inflated some or the freight to get it there in the first place.

Iv'e heard that some models, the Rams, that the deck max height is effected by the blower pulleys. You may be able to actually adjust the deck down on the hangers so that way you won't accidenty raise it too high and damage the belt or pulley. The older Dixons never had such a problem, but they changed so many things so fast some things were overlooked...