1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Catchy Statement and Discount

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Slcareco, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the process of developing a postcard size flyer and need some ideas or direction to go with a catchy statement and along with it a fair discount that doesn't give the wrong impression.

What I have so far:

• Its time to save money this year on your landscaping without the sacrifice of quality.
    • Increase the value of your home investment while saving money with us.
    • Add value to your investment through quality horticulture practices that suit your budget.
    • Go green for the spring without the major expenses.
    • Homeowners save an average of 33% each year with us, are you ready to start saving?

As far as offers I want it to relate to the statement somewhat so I haven't thought about that yet.

2. prox445

prox445 LawnSite Member

Last year was my first year in biz. I put "call for a free service and I will include a quote"
    Out of 1000 door hangers I had 200 calls and almost the same amount in regular services. Before I hung the ads I had 2 accounts in the bag. This is what made my biz.
    In my limited expirence on this site I have found you will not find much help from people as how to start or expand your biz. I think they are worried you will take clients from them. I look at it as there is enough to go around. No matter who you are and what you do you will never get. Hope this helps and best of luck.
  3. pkra12

pkra12 LawnSite Member

poorly written and good luck making money if u really are saving them 33%, let me guess you are probably 15 years old with 19 years experience like half the other idiots in here
  4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

What does that mean?
  5. FourTrees

FourTrees LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 6

Brilliant! Mind if I borrow this?

It means he found a way to grab attention and get people calling.

Giving away service is not a bad way to gain a customer.
  6. prox445

prox445 LawnSite Member

I can tell I will not make any friends here. I have found that many of you have an attitude problem. Let me fill you in. Your not God's gift to the Landscape world. All you are, is a small fish in a saturated market. As a matter of fact I'm not 15. I have 15 years in the biz world. I don't care what you think, I sold my dividends in a biz that grossed over 3 million 2 years ago. This is because my Dad and I didn't see eye to eye. Well now that I think about it he acts just like you. I do this to service a few of my plowing contracts. I was going stir crazy in the summer. I'm sure you know how it is. You can only take your 36' Skater to FLA so many times. Yea, I only have 3 crews going right now but I don't care. Oh, take a look at the for sale forum. Look at the truck I am selling. That was bought just to plow. I have no room for it as I bought 4 2010 f350's. Keep your eyes open. There will be 2 more posted by the end of the winter. So keep you smart ass coments to yourself. Do you go through 100 skids of bag salt and 100 tons of bulk. Well I do. Right now I have 84 trucks out, 8 liquid trucks, 10 rock trucks, 19sidewalk crews, 12skidsteers, 5 loaders and 15 ATV's. Do your research. I did. I see you have a biz a bit like mine. Oh, I'm sure it's much smaller. Now when you have more than 1-5 year in biz you can contact me, untill then shut your mouth. I'm not trying to say I don't have to do this. I still have a house payment and a family to support and I have payment like everyone else. I could downsize and live of of investments but I like my lifestyle. I don't understand why people on this site will not help the small guy. I think you should wish him the best and support them all the way. As a matter of fact I'm done with the lawn service after this year. I like to have the summer off.
  7. prox445

prox445 LawnSite Member

Four Trees, Thanks.
    You can use this all day long. Please let me know how you fair.
  8. prox445

prox445 LawnSite Member

Oh, PKRA12,
    Don't hate on the young crowd. They have a bright future ahead of them. Most are open and honest and like to give and get feedback. I'd like to hear your story on how you started and what it took to become a profitable biz. And I forgot got to tell you, I'm 30 years old.
  9. pkra12

pkra12 LawnSite Member

hey prox wasnt referring to you but since you asked free services are a bad idea. and it sounds like you walked into free money from daddy and got to go big right out of the gate but anyway...i have no problem with young guys and humble beginnings i have problems with them driving down prices, all over town fliers like that will be passed out and most of the kids wont follow through so we'll end up taking over the yards in july or august and will have already missed landscaping and the heavy growing season and have to talk the customer back up to a reasonable price
  10. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I almost did not want to comment, but...
    I like the "Go Green for Spring"
    then something about savings. "Our customers save as much as 30% with an annual contract" "Call for a free quote"

I'd suggest keep it simple, less wordy, and unless you are promoting "green" horticulture, be careful how you word that. Keep in mind it is a post card, people will look for about two seconds before throwing it in the can. So grab their attention and go.
    "Good success to you!"