CATERPILLARS COMING TO A FORD DEALER SOON!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 9FT.PILES, Jan 14, 2001.

1. 9FT.PILES

9FT.PILES Banned

NO MORE power "STROKES" INT. HARV. 250s 350s THE CATS R CUMMIN ! CATERPILLAR #1

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Not anytime soon,Navistar has a contract that has 7 yrs left im i remember right.If you want a real diesel"no glow plugs" in your Super duty,you have to get it overseas,where the SD has Cummins B3.9 as an engine option in the F250-550 SD,the B3.9 is the 4 cyl version of the 5.9 in dodge pickups.

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Navistar has the contract to build the new 6.0 Powerstroke as well.

Geoff

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

9' piles I tols earlier that the cats were in the 650 and up trucks. If you cant get the info right, dont post at all. You have already been removed from this site once, and trust me, it wont take much to kick you out again.
    Check your story before you run your fingers.
    Dino

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Forgive me, I'm no wrench head. How does a diesel engine work, withput glow plugs?

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Bob
    This is by no way a very detailed version of how a diesel runs, but here goes.
    Unlike a gas engine, a diesel works on straight compression, meaning that when the fuel is compressed and that causes the fuel to ignite. In a gas engine the spark plug ignites the fuel.
    The glow plugs are there for cold starting only. They pre warm the clyinder, and that helps the diesel fuel ignite when the engine is cold.
    Dino

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Dino, I understand every thing that you said. However in Johns post he says," a real diesel with no glow plugs". How would you start a "real diesel" in the winter?

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

To start a real diesel,just turn the key.If its real cold,plug it in,or hit it with a shot of ether.Direct injected truck engines do not need glow plugs.The reason to have a diesel is reduced maintance,these glow plugs always give trouble at some time,and go bad randomly,then you have an engine that starts hard ,runs rough and smokes bad til they all fire eventually.The controllers go out frequently too,since they pull upwards of 50 amps while heating.I know Ford uses 6 volt glow plugs so they heat up quick,this makes them fail prematurely.The Cummins in the Dodge pickup is the only truck you can hop into and just hit the key,and it starts perfect.It does have a wait light,but its just an air intake preheater,not neccesary,in fact its Dodge spec thing,same engine in a motorhome of freightliner doesnt have it.

9. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Well my case backhoe does not have glow plugs and i start it right up in the winter just remember to plug it in.

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Glow plugs are used in diesel engines which were originally designed as gas engines (both the PS and 6.5 have roots as gassers) to heat the air to get going when cold, the real diesels use what amounts to a toaster grid in the intake to heat the air to get it started.

[Edited by thelawnguy on 01-17-2001 at 08:56 PM]