Cattails

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by res, May 27, 2003.

1. res

res LawnSite Member

I have a problem with cattails growing in my pond. Pond size is approximately 1/2 to 3/4 acre. Is there a safe chemical to use, safe meaning it will not harm the fish, turtles, etc? I have cut these down in the past using a tractor and sickle bar. However, the cattails always grow back.

2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing here except bigger pond (about an acre). I tried all of that too. Chemicals, cutting, etc. THEN I got serious and got a bunch of pond building/maintenance books from the library. Found out that just mowing them in the spring/summer doesnt help. What you have to do is cut them BELOW the water line before the waters first freeze-over, and they witt hinder growth until they all dye out! Why it works is because, when whater freezes over and the cattails are still above the water line, the dead plant allows air to circulate to the root system in the ground so they dont dye. but when you cut them below the water line, you cut off circulation so they die. Worked great for me!!

3. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

Round-up works just fine and will not harm your aquatic life.

4. The Lawn Boy Pro

Um, are you sure? :confused:

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

use Rodeo for your pond. It's the same chemical (glyphosate) as Round-up, but is labeled for aquatic applications. Will not harm aquatic organisms if used according to label.

Mike

6. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

if you do use rodeo make sure you include a non-ionic surfactant.

rodeo itself won't adhere to the cattails to break down their waxy cuticle.

yes lawn boy, i'm sure.

7. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

LOL that sounds like complaining cause grass is growing in your yard.

To me that is a natural plant for a pond.....do you want to get rid of the lily pads as well?

8. The Lawn Boy Pro

Todd,
    Our pond out back has a bridge that seperates the swampy side from the pond (with a firm, sandy bottom). The swamp originally contained the cattails but each year they moved 2-5' closer to the pond. They are VERY invasive, if not controlled properly. I didnt cut every last one down, just MOST of them.

Lilipads, however, shade water so alage growth is reduced to a minimal.