Cattle fence

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by forestfireguy, May 4, 2007.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

We have a large commercial maintenance account and we do several "extras" for them. One of the proposed extras is to install 10,000 linear feet of 3 strand electric cattle fencing. The terrain is pretty rough, I have not seen it on a topo map but I did walk it and it basically runs up the side of a mountain. We can use whatever means neccesary to get the intsall done, making roads, trails, removing trees, whatever. I will get an electrician for the fence wiring part but does anyone have a clue as to how long an install like this might take? Off the top of my head I'm guessing 3-4 weeks with a 3 man crew and 1 auger, maybe a couple days with a dozer for the really bad spots and a quad to run the wire out. I have never done anything like this before, I would sub it out but I have not been able to find a fence guy who would even look at it. I was considering taking a sizable deposit and then billing difference as a time and materials job, for amounts actually used.
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have some pictures? It seems as a kid I built and repaired miles of the stuff. A electric fencers are a pretty simple creature. The shock from one is not the worst feeling I have ever had.
  3. Lucky1

Lucky1 LawnSite Member

Pick up a Lancaster Farm paper , find a fence contractor and sub the whole job out. A fence company will have pounders witch is a lot quicker than drilling holes. The easy part of the job is electrical. Many of these companies are Amish owned fair price and will only take a few days.
  4. farmboy555

farmboy555 LawnSite Member

What kind of wire?? Barb wire or smooth high tensile? If it's the hight tensile, putting up the wire is easy.
  5. forestfireguy

from nj

It will be high tensile electrified 3 or 5 strand I am not sure yet.
  6. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a job for a skid steer, auger and 2 guys to help out.
  7. mowingguy

mowingguy Guest

forestfire, sub it out. You do not want to have the drill the holes for posts. Driver is the answer. Most rigs have a great setup for running strands as they pound the posts.
    If you want to get involved. You can do a little of the prep work. Build a path that a one ton can get through. -SL
  8. forestfireguy

from nj

Do any of you guys have contacts with folks that do this for a living? If so perhaps a larger job like this would be worth traveling for? Does the Lancaster farm paper have on online version I haven't found much. But honestly haven't had the time to look too much either.
  9. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

It all depends on the terrain. With high tensile fence it's all about putting up heavy corner poles and cross bracing at the corners.

Hooking up the transformer and wiring is a snap.

I probably have enough spools to do 5000 ft.

Lancaster farmer has an online version but it is very slim in comparison with the print version. I stopped it last year.

What part of Jersey?
  10. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

here in West Texas they use a ton of electric fence

barbed wire is too expensive and over time a permenant fence will get silted in when tumbleweeds collect and catch the blowing dirt

also they will cut a sourghm/milo patch and then put cows to graze it for the winter then take the fence down and farm it again in the spring....or they plant wheat or rye and graze it to get it to thicken and then cattle come off in early early spring and they will harvest for seed or cut for hay if too dry

it is very flat here, but putting up an electric fence for a quarter section or bigger is not hard

drive rebar in the ground and connect the insulators....they just use a single strand here because the cows know what is up with the wire....some don't even always electrify it

just get rebar or Tpost and insulators and a fence electrifier and start pounding post......I dont see a need for a ton of holes or concrete or any such need for electrician either the fence electrifier will give the distance it is good for on it....maybe a few corners with a heavy post and a spring to take the stress of temp changes.....put some guy wires on if needed....and ground it to keep the electrifier from shorting in a storm

if the cows are not trained to a hot wire then it is probably useless anyway because who knows what they will do when shocked the first time and post and wire will not hold back a cow

if you are holding in bulls just build a good fence forget electric