1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Caught a glimpse of Bad Boy's 37hp Kawasaki Prototype this weekend!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by retrodog, Apr 7, 2008.

1. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys, made a trip up to the factory Saturday, and got to see BB's new toy at the open house. They are trying out the 37hp Kawasaki on a prototype to start producing on their aos models. If they do this, I will gladly be picking up that series mower for myself. They currently offer the 27hp lc on the series now, but I like the 26hp lc Kawasaki Lightning for the $800 difference in price. I was a little nervous on picking up the 35hp Vanguard in that series, but I know the Kawa's are rock solid. It will prolly come in at under $10000 and prove to be a serious contender in the market, I will let you guys know if they decide to go that direction. I am currently running the 31hp Kawasaki on my 60" Lightning and love it. The cool thing about the prototype was that it was in the enviroguard propane set-up, and I am seriously thinking about trying out propane due to the waaaay cheaper price. Propane is $2.30 a gallon here currently, a pretty big difference in the soon to be $4.00 gas price.
  2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

pix?????????????? I have been waiting for this mower!!
  3. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Good deal... How long will a gallon of propane take to burn? Need to make sure it doesn't burn much faster than gas could wind up costing you more.... Just my 2 cents but sounds awesome.....
  4. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

I second the PIX!!!!!!!!!!!!! request. This is very exciting i was hoping they would do something like this. That may very well be the mower i i buy for myself.
  5. retrodog

lol....I didn't have my camera, but I bet someone there at the factory took some. If I come up with some, I will post. I believe propane burns the same amount of gas, but I am not certain because I have never owned one.
  6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Envirogard claims it's way more efficient. I've heard it's 20% less efficient. Even at 20% less efficiency, it costs what, 30% less? I wish we could see some real life numbers.
  7. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

I don't know about the usage per hour but I know when they say it is less efficient, they mean the engine won't create the same horsepower on propane as it will on gasoline.

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I was fueling up my truck and there was a propane delivery truck fueling with diesel as I was,I asked the driver why they weren't using propane,he said they tried it but the performance was no where near what the diesel was.
  9. retrodog

Maybe that is why BB it testing out the 37hp kawasaki.....in my opinion way to much motor for a 60" deck....lol, but if it loses 20% of power, that is alot of hp off a 30hp motor...actually it is 7.4 hp, which would still give you spitting out atleast the power from a 30 to 31hp kawasaki (which is awesome). They were originally putting the propane set-up on the 32hp Vanguard, and I believe that Dixie Choppers is putting theirs on a 27hp Generac (not 100% though) If anyone reads this that owns a propane set-up please respond and give us some "real world" specs and updates on the difference.
  10. dakota_lou

dakota_lou LawnSite Member

I just got a brand new Country Clipper with the 37hp Kawasaki and got 3 hours on it before it self destructed. Two Kawa teck boys came down and worked on it for 5 hours and had no clue what was wrong. It had serious over heating issues, carb., and cam... either defective or burning out from carb shooting too much gas into system. They replaced almost everything and still same problem. Finally replaced with new 37hp Kawa:cool2:. Doesn't seem like these 37hp Kawa's are tried and tested yet. Any other problems with these??? The tech boys said a few problems with fly wheels but know of nothing else. Am I the only goat?? Sound off!!!