1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cause for concern - new lawns first summer

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ninothing, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ninothing

ninothing LawnSite Member

i gave my lawn a full restart last fall. planted new seed, came up very well in the fall and was looking good again coming into the spring. recently we have had A LOT of rain in my area and temps are now starting to kick up into the 90s. over the last few weeks spots of the nice green have turned slightly. i have read about brown spot and other issues on the boards. just looking for comments/confirmation/thoughts on the current status of my lawn. any cause for concern?

2. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Step 1- get a better mower

Step 2 - keep it watered for the next 2 months

Step 3 - Dethatch aerate and overseed in the fall.
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That lawn is heat stressed. What type of grass is it?
  4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a lot of rye is not liking the heat. What you have is in just about every picture on this forum lately. Overfed in spring cool/damp weather...becomes insta hot and the lawn just cant adjust fast enough. Your lawn actually looks fine (improving) Dont over water it..slow and deep..2x-3x per week...slow this thing down a bit. Pic up the pace again in the early fall.
  5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

That is what I was thinking on this lawn. Definitely heat stressed and lack of water.

Whichever type of turf this is.........it needed thatching and aerating.
  6. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Guys this is not heat stress and he does not need more water and give him a break with the mower and aerating. REREAD his post high temps and rain this is brown patch in a fescue lawn. I would assume you are in a transition zone but since you do not furnish us with location???
    In KY we are ate up with it. Grass not having time to dry out with hot nights = fungus. It should heal itself and seeding with a good compost top dress in the fall will help. You may even wish to top dress a thin layer now - can't hurt. 1 yard of good compost will cover about 3 to 5K we are talking a thin coat here but that might help. Otherwise just wait it out. Now if it starts to not rain each week a good deep (1inch) watering in the AM will be needed.
    Fill wheel barrow with post and blow out with RM 8000 or Sthil 650 needs to be a powerful blower.
    Or you can go the synthetic route and use a fungicide. I avoid that like the ....