Caution on Herbicide sprayed in desirable tree dripline

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ed2hess, May 2, 2014.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at a couple weedkillers labelsand both caution about spraying in drip line of trees. That would seem to limit spraying in a lot of places?

20140502_202233.jpg

Screenshot_2014-05-02-17-29-39.jpg

These are the two labels I looked at so far. Will they all have the same caution?

20140502_202233.jpg

Screenshot_2014-05-02-17-29-39.jpg

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Probably--dicamba kills by root uptake. Three-way labels all include the warning; they never include more than about 1/8 pound per acre of dicamba. Do not mix it double strength.
    Redbud trees are especially sensitive. Sometimes box elder.
    The risk is much higher if (for instance) it rains and the treatment is repeated.

Years ago a nice lady complained to me about how tough it was to kill poison ivy. "Nothing will kill that stuff and its growing up the side of my cottonwood tree!" It was my rookie year.
    So I sprayed it for her. "Don't know if this will work." I sprayed the poison ivy ten times.
    You guessed it--a few days later the manager mentioned that the customer called; the tree was dead, as was the poison ivy.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I would add on...be esp careful around evergreens. Give a wide berth.
    Imprelis did me in on more than a few of those.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the trees are large live oak, burr oak and pear. So that is probably the reason TruGreen usually didn't get the weeds under big trees. So what do you do about those weeds?

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Sulfentrazone. It is now approved for use in containerized, field, and landscape woody plants. You would never apply a conventional broadleaf killer there. My soils are usually so impervious that I have to really over do the Banvel or 4 Way to get in trouble. On the other hand, the rare yard that is all sand causes me to be careful.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Except Imprelis, that stuff violated all of the above rules.....

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Only herbicide with similar properties is Tordon. I am still amazed, knowing how well aminocyclopyrachlor would work on trees, that it was ever approved for use in residential areas.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our soils certainly not sandy but would irrigation watering likely cause speedzone to get into tree roots system quicker? Second question do most herbicides degrade from sun light over a short time?

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Carfentrazone is more of a contact of green tissue herbicide--I don't think it has any root activity.
    Most 3-ways with dicamba have been used (with caution) under trees for years without a problem. Under ordinary conditions I had no problems.

10. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea but you did what the customer wanted right?:laugh: