1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

CC M54 Local vs. YK MidMax 61230 Internet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dbear, Jul 26, 2006.

1. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I know, "Not another what to buy thread!", but please bear with me.

Keeping in mind that I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck (not some commercial-wanna-be homeowner intended unit), that it would be used primarily on my own 3 acre property, that the budget is as little as I can get away with and still get a good unit, and lastly, that local dealers are getting $4k to $6k for used machines with 500 to 2500 hours and no warranty, I've stumbled upon the two aforementioned mowers that can be had for almost the same price.

The Cub would be from a "local" dealer for $5999 plus NYS tax (8%) = $6479.
    The YK would be from an out-of-state dealer for $5999 plus shipping = $6398.
    Both mowers come with the same Kawasaki engine; the main difference is in deck size.

I've kind of decided, or at least suspect, that a 54" deck would be more than enough for my use (currently have old 3-wheeler with a 61"), and that a 48" wouldn't gain me anything in terms of time, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

My problem with the Cub is just that: It's under the Cub umbrella. Yeah I know it's actually a Lesco, but I got burned real bad on my last Cub purchase and consequently, am leary of anything with that label. My concern with the YK is there are no active local dealers. There are a couple of Husky dealers; are parts interchangeable?

All that said, which would you go with? I'd appreciate any input you guys might have...Thanks.
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

personaly i'd go with the cub, there is a local dealer, that means that if something breaks down, your dealer will give you priority repair over something that he didn't sell. Plus the cud cadet tanks are one tough machine, almost overkill for a home owner, i saw a few at the local dealer being used and they were one mean machine. i don't know anything about the quality of the YK though.