CDL class A road test

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirt Digger2, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well I finally scheduled a test for Jan. 3 to get my road test done. I have had my permit now for a year and a half...anyone out there have tips or pointers to passing the road test?...i know the pre-trip is the worst part so i have been going into the shop on sundays and doing that

and if anyone has ever taken their test in Reading PA that is where i am taking it...whats the course like?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My buddy took the test a couple months back. Told me to make sure you take the keys out of the truck when you get out of the cab. I wouldn't have even thought about that.

3. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

above all, remember "exactly how to do the AIRBRAKE TEST!!!" they can be forgiving on everything else, but not that! I took mine in 03, I had to come back to redo the test because of the airbrake test. I passed everything else, and you know I failed because I stated the wrong PSI drop when you press the service brake, I will never forget it, I was off by only "1" PSI, the instructor said that one psi could of caused someones life on the road? who would of known...anyways, above all Good luck, ps. if you drive for a living, find a good union job, owner operators are not doing well, just my life experience with my father, he has driven for over 2o years.

4. Dirt Digger2

from PA

so the airbrake test...you make sure your park brakes on truck and trailer work, then you turn the truck off and sit for a minute and its 3psi per minute, and with the brake pedal depressed it is 4psi per minute...then you run it down till the buzzer comes on, then keep running it down until the buttons pop...this is mainly the only part i am worried about...we never do full brake checks everyday...like most people, so this is what i am a little concerned with

no i wont be driving for a living...maybe a year or two after college just to see the country but i doubt it...i need it for transporting equipment for work, and the extra freedom of being able to buy any type of truck or trailer in the future and not have to worry about whether i can legally haul it

5. ASCHAL45

ASCHAL45 LawnSite Member

Make sure you look in your mirrors alot especially the passenger mirror I had quite a few points taken off for not looking in my passenger mirror enough and pay attentions to the signs because he will prolly ask you what the sign said that you just passed other than that it aint to bad the pretrip is the worst part

6. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like the others have said, make sure you get the pre-trip and 4 pt. air brake down pat. The driving part is easy, but the rodeo course can be a little tricky, especially the part where you parallel park on an angle and have to stop within a certain marked off area... I forget what he called it.

Also, make sure your passenger seat is firmly secured and won't flip forward when the large fellow riding with you goes to sit down doesn't damn near fall out of the truck! It can make for a dicey test... take my word for it!:laugh:

7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a buddy that failed b/c he shifted gears going over RR tracks. Cant shift when making a turn either, until you are straightened out. At least in NY, so I am told. Never taken the test, have my CDL A permit for 5 years now. Only use it for driving for a local farm, hauling feed.

8. Dirt Digger2

from PA

yup...don't shift over tracks or when in the middle of an intersection, which sucks especially when your the first truck at the light...you go through the intersection in 2nd gear...i always shift through intersections so i am going to have to make sure to not do it

9. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

When you do your airbrake test, it is with the truck shut off, however, make sure to turn the ignition on, or the buzzer won't work, at least on my truck. I caught it, but it was too late! Also, on the road test, pay attention to the bridge weight limit signs, as there will probably be one on the course, and you will be asked. Good luck!

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, there is quite a difference in the pre trip between the lower 48 and our Provincial system.