1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

CDL required?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mnickison, Jan 5, 2008.

1. mnickison

mnickison LawnSite Member

I was looking to buy a dump truck. The one I am looking at is a Ford 900, weighs approx 14000 lbs, single axle, with air brakes. Does any of this require me to have a CDL to drive it?
  2. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

All that depends on the GVW of that truck, not the empty weight. In ny its 26001lbs before cdl. I am pretty sure that a F900 would need a cdl. At the very least you need an endorsement for the air brakes.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I think you'll probably need a CDL. You'll need a class E regardless if you plan on putting commercial signs on it.
  4. mnickison

I was told that it holds up to approx 25000 lbs. Is there anyway to get class E without taking the classes for it?
  5. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Air brakes means CDL
    Over 26,000 Gross Weight RATING means CDL

either or both means get a CDL, and of course you already have a health card, right?
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Class E is basically a commercial vehicle license. The test is the same as the written test, but has a couple more questions on it. Study an hour before you take it & you should be good.
  7. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

in ohio, air brakes are not cdl,

When do I need a Ohio CDL instead of my regular Ohio Drivers License?
    A Ohio CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
    1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
    2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
    3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
    4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.
  8. mnickison

No, I have nothing towards getting a CDL. I'm pretty much looking for something that i can get in and drive. I would try for a low rating CDL if i didnt have to spend more than $400 to get it. As of right now, this is just a thought.
  9. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

You only need Air brake endorsements only if the truck has them on it. I can tell you though you might as well go ahead and get them.
  10. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

you only need a air brake endorsement if the gvw is over 26,000lbs
    if your truck is registered under 26,000 and you are towing a trailer registered under 10,000 lbs you can get by with a regular drivers license