CDL requirements

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep getting different stories on if I need a CDL or not. According to a chart my dad had when he took his CDL I would not need one if the trailer is over 10,000 lbs and as long as the combined weight is not over 26,000 lbs. Is this correct or does the law change if a person is doing it in a business.
  2. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

That is correct. Under 26000 you don't need cdl, over you do.
  3. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

even under 26000 your suppose to have a dot health card, roadside reflector kit and fire extengisher in your truck...and it doesn't take much to get over 26K when you add up the truck and trailer combined...a F450 with a 7 ton trailer would need CDL...
  4. backhoe1

backhoe1 LawnSite Member

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have one. just get it and you don't haveto worry anymore.
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the back of my license says "Class A- Combination > 26,000/Tow > 10,000"...take from that what you will, but to me it means if you are towing more then 10,000 you need a class A
  6. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

In Maryland you need one if the GVW of the truck exceeds 26,000 pounds or you are pulling a trailer weighing more than 10,000 pounds. I know the DOT has field days now with any truck pulling a skid steer since most of the time the trailer and skid loader together weighs more than 10,000 pounds.
    Also Dirt Digger2 my Maryland license class A CDL on the back states : Any combination of vehicles with GCW 26,001/more pounds, towing trailer(s) 10,001/more pounds. Any single vehicle, EXCEPT motorcycles (Endorsement Required for Passenger Vehicles).

So it is pretty much the same as your state.
  7. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

This is straight from the website

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.
  8. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

mass is the same if you have a 650 with hydro brakes and your pulling a ten ton trailer your over wieght and thats empty if your going to get you CDL whether you get A or B get the air brake indorsement otherwise its not worth it that way if you ever up grade or work somewhere else your completely covered and never have to go back other then a renew
  9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Like someone said it is best just to get the Class A with air brake endorsement and be done with it. It is not that big of deal. At some point you are going to need it. If your going to progress in this business you need a CDL with about the same importance as you need a dirt bucket.
  10. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Ohio everyone says it is a pain to get your cdl. My dad said it was a pain to get his along with many others that have told me that. According to this if I understand it correctly I dont need it.

A CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .

* A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
    * A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
    * A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the operator) or any vehicle carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
    * A vehicle of any size that carries hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.