1. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i wondering should i get a class A CDL if im running a landscaping biz. ive always wanted to drive truck for a living but just wonder if i really need it.

thanks in exchange.

2. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, go for the A. Sometimes if you have a small 1 ton dump, trailer, and a large enough piece of equipment on you need a CDL A. It depends on how you register your vehicles, trailers etc. But yes, get the A all it adds to the test is a pre trip on the trailer which is no big deal and a couple other exercises in the driving course.

3. zim bob the landscaper

ya im gonna go to school and my dad drives a 10 wheel mack so he can help me.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You're talking about when you're 18, right?

5. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to get my cdl A. If your gross weight truck/trailer combo is over 26000lbs then you need one. Right now I'm at 25000 but want to re-regiester my truck from 13000 to 15000. If I can do that then my combo weight will be 27000.

6. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I have a question along these lines, whats the difference between a CDL class "A", "B", and "C" licenses?? I'm wanting to get mine in the near future, so I'm just curious to know what the classes mean. Are there any more besides the 3 that I mentioned??

Thanks!

Jason

7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Class A allows for a combination vehicle....truck and trailer
    Class B is just the truck
    Class C???

8. zim bob the landscaper

i think theres only two.

9. zim bob the landscaper

nope im gonna get it now.... yeah of course what do u think there gonna pass a 14 year old lol.

10. dccarling

dccarling LawnSite Member

If the GVWR of the truck or the truck & trailer is >26,000 you need a CDL. If the GVWR of the trailer is 10,000 or less you can get by with a "B" CDL. If the trailer has a GVWR > 10,000 and the combination is > 26,000 then you need the "A" CDL.