Cdl?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by seacoastlandscape, Apr 14, 2008.

1. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

Looking at a 18ft trailer and the GVW is 10,000. If I recall you need a CDL if towing 10,000 or over. Is it legal to register the trailer at 9,999 lbs to keep it under the need for a CDL. Will only be towing around a few mowers or a 28 hp JD so I wont be close to carrying 10,000 lbs.

2. ilc79

ilc79 LawnSite Member

I think you need cdl s only if your over 26000 lbs.

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

You must have a CDL license to operate:

* Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), actual weight, or registered
    weight over 26,000 lbs. or such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR, actual weight, or
    registered weight of 10,000 lbs. or less.

* Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), actual weight, or
    registered weight over 26,000 lbs. provided the GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight
    of the towed vehicle(s) is more than 10,000 lbs.

* A vehicle transporting hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

* A vehicle that is designed OR used to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.

4. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

That would be good nothin to wry about then, someone told me it was 10,000

5. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I say ilc79 is right but best to call your state hiway patrol and ask them. That way you will get the exact rules for your state.

6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

IN2Mown is correct. This is not a State thing, what he posted is the law for CDLs.

And seacoast- just fyi, it doe snot matter at all what you are towing or at what weight you register. It's all about GVWR!! the tag on your trailer is what they go by. You'll be fine with a 10,000 lb. Just make sure you have a medical card. Many threads on this.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

in2mowin has it right, but those are the federal laws, certain states have strickter laws for cdls. IN is one for example. Your best bet is to go tho your states highway patrol or motor vehicle office.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

no you are wrong. He posted federal. Each state is different. States can be strickter, but cant go lower than the federal requirments. If you get stopped and asked to go to a scale, why is that done?

9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I was being overly brief and vague... You are right, Scott- it is the federal law and States can be different, more strict.

And yes, obviously it matters what you are towing and if you are overweight. What I meant was it all starts at GVWR... and you can't tell a trooper, "Oh I NEVER have that much on the trailer!" They are concerned with what the manufacturer's GVWR is.

10. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

from what i can read you are all set if your 10K or under on a trailer and the vehicle is not over 26K gvw...

im in the same boat...i have a trailer rated at 10K (even though it says 4ton on the side, i bought it like that) and my truck is 25999...

according the federal cdl guidelines from what i can read (and i know others on here are going to disagree) i am not required to have a cdl...bc i am under 26K on my vehicle and am not towing a trailer w/ gvw of over 10K...i posted this same question a few wks ago, and got conflicting answers...good luck