CDL's...whos got one and what did you learn with?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirt Digger2, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

since it looks like everyone has so much time on their hands with the slow down...who has a CDL? what did you learn on? what do you drive now

...i'll start, I started learning on a 6 speed L8000 ford tank truck, that thing is like driving a little sports car...then i moved to a F800 with a backhoe trailer and 5-2 tranny, then moved to a twin-stick Mack 10 wheeler, when that truck started to split its double frame it got turned into a on site haul truck and we got a Pete 10 wheeler dump with a 10 speed road ranger...that took some getting use to, then we got a brand new Pete 10 speed tanker truck...all of which i drive now

i have the Class A, air brake, and tanker endorsement...but i was also thinking of getting my passenger endorsement and while i am taking that test get the doubles/triples as well...what do you guys think? I would get HazMat too but i don't feel like shelling out $70 for something i probably wont ever use

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I got my B with a 33K single axle and my A with 378 Pete and Circle R side dump. It was a bit of step up.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

when i bought my tree spade i didnt have a cdl yet, but drove it around pretty much learned that way, took the test and been alright since.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Class A........learned in a bobtail and then tandem dump. Took my test in some old Lake City International rental truck with no power steering and so many gears my left leg started to shake from all the clutching.....I had almost completely wiped that from my memory until you brought it up.....it is slowly coming to the surface now....

5. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Class A took the test with a 98 Freightliner and 36' flat bed trailer. All I can remember was being very nervous but past all parts first try.

6. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Grew up drivin small trucks and trailers, decided when I was 21-22 to get my class A CDL just in case I ever needed them. The biggest trucks I had ever driven was our single axle dump trucks and 12,000lb tilt trailer. Passed my written test no problem, went down to take driving test with just the experience I described. Rented the school's Freightlighter with a H pattern and 40-50' something box trailer for 100-150 bucks passed the obstacle coarse with no problem went out on the road and did find (beside stupid H pattern) until I got to a right hand turn and hit the curb with back trailer tire, automatic fail. Went back a week or two later with no practice and passed with flying colors. I have occasionlly use my CDL with past two employers for drivin Tri-axle or Lowboy, but mainly operate. People always freak out when taking the test, but I think it's common since that applies to your pickup and utility trailer only on a bigger scale.

7. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

http://webmail.aol.com/34032/aol/en....aspx?uid=1.18862443&folder=New+Mail&partId=2

Not sure how to post pictures but this is my new avator and I figured since it is cat related some might enjoy. This was the OCC bike built for Cat and was on display at the open house at ALBAN CAT in Baltimore. Not a bad picture from a camera phone I might add.

Oops sorry guys I put this in the total wrong place. Still a good picture.

8. Dirt Digger2

from PA

when i took my test the instructor said "if i look as nervous as you its because you are the first person i have ever given a CDL test to" HAHA...i passed with only 1 "mark" and that was because i forgot the compressor build up rate. The cones course was the hardest part...straight line pull forward, straight line backing, then i had to parallel park the SOB!! i managed to do it without having to pull forward at all though, i got lucky...and i'm not even 21 years old yet

9. NateV

NateV LawnSite Senior Member

Hey im only 18 and got my A with an 98 freightliner and a 42ft flat bed about a month ago. On my test i only got a point off for doing a pull up on the parallel park because i let the trailer walk too far back in the box.

10. Dirt Digger2

from PA

good for you man...i have had my permit since i was 18 but never had a chance to take the test until a little while ago...i should have got the license when i was 18 or 19, it would have made my paycheck a little nicer anyway