CDL's

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mike33, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I read different post on concern of cdl's. I have even seen a few of tagging a truck low on weight to get by this. I cant understand why every one is indimadated by them. Here in Md. any thing over 10,000 lbs. is commercial = dot # on side of truck, phy. card, triangles, fire ext., and preventance maintance sheet that only has to be filled out once a year. If you drive less than 150 miles no log book needed. I have had cdl for 15 years even before i started in business i got them belonging to the local vfd. So what is the big deal , they cost me maybe 10.00 more than reg. lic. but im not going to go out and under haul or under tag a truck because im scarred of cdl lic. I just consider it another element of business.
    Mike

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you Mike. I am hoping to get mine this winter as I could always benefit from one and I am going to start volunteer firefighting soon. What intimidates me is that I have talked to guys that I know that said that it took them three tries to get a CDL and they are very good drivers. Also, I am afraid that I would not be able to handle a huge truck just yet. I am 18. I have driven a 24' Uhaul box truck without an issue, but I just don't know if I am ready to jump up to something bigger that has air brakes.

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i'm 19 and haul a 11,000 pound trailer behind a 350 dump, drive a international 4700 service truck and f-550. but you always gotta go bigger...haha, i got my CDL permit a few months ago, and will probably go for my driving test right before it expires...so "fearthisdeere" it just takes a little practice and you get the hang of driving the big boys...you just have to know people that have trucks.

4. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Driving during the test is no different than driving as you normally would.should.

It's the pre-trip inspection that is a PITA!

I've got a class B CDL with air brakes (I can drive anything with air brakes with no trailer) and I renewed mine a few weeks ago even though I don't drive a 10 wheeler anymore just so I wouldn't have to retake the pre-trip test when I go to get it again sometime in the future.

5. Mike33

Yes drive normal, i have B with air brakes. How many times on the job have you taken an extra try to get that trailer in, it happens. My worst mistake i did on my test was to get fancy and split shift across the parking lot, i missed the rpm and had to go again. My examiner which was a women looked over and laughed and said, most people dont do that on the road test. Yes the pre trip was a pita due to our fire trucks was older and i spent 2 days getting all the lights to work that was ignored for years.
    Mike

6. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

When I got mine in 2002 I had to take all the test over again, I had gotten a CDL-B with air brakes when I was 18 but let it go when I was 21 so I had to retake the tests.

Te examiner looked at me when we were driving and said "it looks liek you've done this before?"

Honestly when you go to take the driving test you should be profficient enough to not have to worry about anything driving wise, the pre-trip is an entirely different story depending on what the examiner is like. I still get cringes from the first time I took the pre trip test.. things like points deducted for not actually pulling out a tire tread depth gauge and checking the tire tread depths on a brand new set of tires all around the truck.

7. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

Don't sweat it I've got my class A's. Just need to practice a bit before you go Just drive like you naturally would. Don't try to impress the instructor. Just study the book from front to back. So you can learn how the air brakes work and the parts and your pre trip inspection.

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice Stafford and Dirt Digger2

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I've had my class A for years.

It's easy, just practice before you take the road test, and you gotta know how to do a thorough pre-trip.

10. Mike33

Now i have just seen some real nice and painless posts to my thread about cdl's. My point was kind of proven here , why is people trying to get around these? There are threads about this neat truck or trailer ( but by god we aint going to do this because of cdl's ) i think if your starting out or even in it for a while that would be a lot easier than running that excavater or skid steer that you probably think you know every thing about it.
    Mike